Jul 27, 2014, 7:30 AM EDT
After securing his fifth pole position in six races during qualifying yesterday, Nico Rosberg has a golden opportunity to extend his lead at the top of the drivers’ championship following Lewis Hamilton’s engine fire.
The Briton’s Mercedes W05 car suffered a fuel leak during the first part of qualifying, forcing him to pull over at the side of the track. Hamilton will start the race from the pit lane after the team changed the gearbox, engine and chassis in the wake of the blaze.
However, Rosberg did not have it all his own way. He still had to pull out at perfect final lap in Q3 to see off the challenge of Sebastian Vettel and Valtteri Bottas, who will start second and third respectively.
Daniel Ricciardo will start fourth ahead of Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso, but the Spaniard’s teammate, Kimi Raikkonen, was less fortunate. A strategy error by the team meant that he was knocked out in Q1 by Marussia’s Jules Bianchi. However, with rain forecast, both he and Hamilton may still be able to salvage some points from the weekend.
You can watch the Hungarian Grand Prix live on CNBC and Live Extra from 7:30am ET.
FROM THE STEWARDS’ OFFICE
- Lewis Hamilton will start the race from the pit lane after Mercedes changed the gearbox, engine and chassis on his car. The Briton is permitted to start despite missing the 107% rule.
- Pastor Maldonado has also been permitted to start after he too pulled off to the side of the track without setting a time in Q1. He also took a gearbox penalty, but as he cannot move any further back, he remains in 20th position.
- Kevin Magnussen will start from the pit lane after a crash in Q3 left him requiring a rebuild. He will start ahead of Hamilton, though.
2014 HUNGARIAN GRAND PRIX STARTING GRID
1. Nico Rosberg Mercedes
2. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull
3. Valtteri Bottas Williams
4. Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull
5. Fernando Alonso Ferrari
6. Felipe Massa Williams
7. Jenson Button McLaren
8. Jean-Eric Vergne Toro Rosso
9. Nico Hulkenberg Force India
10. Daniil Kvyat Toro Rosso
11. Adrian Sutil Sauber
12. Sergio Perez Force India
13. Esteban Gutierrez Sauber
14. Romain Grosjean Lotus
15. Jules Bianchi Marussia
16. Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari
17. Kamui Kobayashi Caterham
18. Max Chilton Marussia
19. Marcus Ericsson Caterham
20. Pastor Maldonado Lotus
PL. Kevin Magnussen McLaren
PL. Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
- Hamilton storms to home pole position at British GP 1
- Hamilton closes out British GP practice fastest 0
- Rosberg fastest once again in second British GP practice 0
- Rosberg tops FP1 at Silverstone after gearbox change 0
- NHRA: Tony Pedregon hopes to keep momentum going in Norwalk 0
- NHRA: New president Peter Clifford full of ideas to get drag racing back on-track 9
- Ryan Briscoe making most of filling in for James Hinchcliffe 1