Jul 28, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
We write this post purely in good fun, because chances are Clint Bowyer is speaking for the approximately 99 percent of folks in this country who aren’t diehard Verizon IndyCar Series fans, or know the ins-and-outs of the IndyCar Dallara DW12 chassis and its components.
Bowyer finished 16th in Sunday’s Brickyard 400 and then proceeded to tweet about his difficulty passing other cars. He now sits 10th in points after the race.
That’s the most frustrating race I’ve ran in a long time!! Had a pretty good car just didn’t have track position at end when it counted. 💩
— Clint Bowyer (@ClintBowyer) July 27, 2014
However, what this next tweet gains in down-home, folksy, Bowyer-esque Twitter gusto it fails in the actual “fact” department:
Bowyer’s right in noting “them Indy car things” have a push-to-pass button, an extra horsepower boost that works as an overtake assist for the spec chassis.
Where IndyCar does not utilize the push-to-pass button is, fittingly, on ovals.
The passing that occurs at the Indianapolis 500 is due to the massive hole in the air punched by this new design of IndyCar chassis, that then creates a giant tow effect where cars draft up and can then pass the car in front based on the run they get. No push-to-pass button is needed to complete this or any oval overtake. Nice try, though.
I will say that I’d love to see Bowyer – who has branched out into sports car racing before by racing a Ferrari 458 Italia GT3 in the Rolex 24 at Daytona – give a crack at “the double” of an Indianapolis 500 and Coca-Cola 600 in one day.
Because then he could see and sample how “them Indy car things” function in reality.
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 4
- Vettel claims shock win for Ferrari in Malaysia as Mercedes pays for strategy mistake 7
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0
- Teaser clip: F1 on NBC’s “Off the Grid” hits Mexico (VIDEO) 1
- Power on pole in Penske top-four sweep of St. Petersburg qualifying 1
- One spectator killed, others injured, at VLN Endurance event in Germany 4
- Hamilton delighted after claiming 40th career pole (VIDEO) 3