Jul 28, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
We took a look last week into the points at the end of the Verizon IndyCar Series’ marathon six race in four weekend stretch.
But there was another intriguing observation that’s come out of the last six races: winning a race has been something of a curse for the following rounds.
Since Carlos Huertas took a surprise win in Houston race one, the race winner has only recorded one top-five finish in the subsequent races since (Simon Pagenaud’s fourth place in Toronto race one).
Take a look at the last six winners, and their results since those wins:
- Carlos Huertas: Won Houston Race 1, then 23rd, 20th, 20th, 14th, 15th
- Simon Pagenaud: Won Houston Race 2, then 6th, 11th, 4th, 22nd
- Juan Pablo Montoya: Won Pocono, then 16th, 18th, 19th
- Ryan Hunter-Reay: Won Iowa, then 21st, 14th
- Sebastien Bourdais, Won Toronto Race 1, then 9th
- Mike Conway: Won Toronto Race 2 … ?
Those six have followed the three other winners this season, in Ed Carpenter (Texas), Helio Castroneves and Will Power (the two Detroit races).
So we’ve had the nine winners this season win each of the last nine races. But winning itself has, coincidentally, been one of the worst things for drivers in subsequent races.
It’s largely been due to mechanical issues, incidents or circumstances outside the drivers’ control.
It’s a weird and bizarre run of results, but something to note heading into the Honda Indy 200 at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course this weekend.
Apr 1, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
Pierre Gasly to test STR10 after Spanish Grand Prix weekend in May.
Apr 1, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
While St. Petersburg had its positives as a weekend, Tony DiZinno reflects on two disconcerting themes that emerged from the race itself.
Apr 1, 2015, 10:54 AM EDT
ABC Supply steps up again, now as Pocono race title sponsor.
Apr 1, 2015, 10:03 AM EDT
Alexander Rossi looks ahead to the upcoming GP2 season.
Mar 31, 2015, 6:04 PM EDT
Off the Grid Mexico kicks off with episode one of a six-part digital series.
Mar 31, 2015, 4:17 PM EDT
Jann Mardenborough and two spectators were released after this weekend’s VLN crash at the Nurburgring.
Mar 31, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Subaru’s Red Bull GRC challenger revealed.
Mar 31, 2015, 1:52 PM EDT
ESM recaps its test from the Prologue at Paul Ricard.
Mar 31, 2015, 12:47 PM EDT
IMS statement comes out after Indiana’s recent religious freedom legislation.
Mar 31, 2015, 11:15 AM EDT
Catching up on the rest of the action from St. Petersburg, with a run through the moments of contact that triggered avoidable contact penalties.
Mar 31, 2015, 10:11 AM EDT
Rolling Stones to play at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
Mar 31, 2015, 9:33 AM EDT
Loose debris hit by a car, then goes over wall and hits a fan outside Turn 10 at St. Petersburg.
Mar 30, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
Hawksworth, Filippi impress on opening outings with their new teams in St. Petersburg.
Mar 30, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
IndyCar’s “old guard” reigned in St. Petersburg, as the new manufacturer aero kits debuted.
Mar 30, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Victory number 70 of the Italian’s remarkable Moto GP career.
Mar 30, 2015, 1:35 PM EDT
However, Williams test driver Susie Wolff believes that women should be reaching F1 in a more organic way.
Mar 30, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT
KVSH’s Bourdais gets result after a consistent drive; KV’s Coletti stars but fades after late race splash-and-dash for fuel.
Mar 30, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT
Pro Mazda, USF2000, Pirelli World Challenge, SST roundup from St. Petersburg.
Mar 30, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
Chevrolet aero kits dominate on debut at St. Petersburg.
Mar 30, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
Swedish driver was fighting in the points before spinning off into the gravel on lap three in Malaysia.
- DiZinno: St. Pete provides solid 2015 season kickoff, but issues some warning signs 0
- Off The Grid Mexico Kicks Off on NBCSports.com (VIDEO) 0
- Spectator injured but in stable condition after being hit by debris at St. Pete race 3
- Experience trumps youth on IndyCar’s opening weekend with aero kits 2
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 2
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 2
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 6