Jul 29, 2014, 9:49 AM EDT
While standing restarts for 2015 had been confirmed a few weeks ago, Bernie Ecclestone has now said he’d like to see that change scrapped before it even enters Formula One.
Speaking to the German Auto Motor und Sport on a host of topics post-the Hungarian Grand Prix (article is in German but can be translated), Ecclestone said these won’t enter the regulations.
“There will be no standing start after a safety car phase,” Ecclestone said. “What we have seen in Budapest, was good enough.”
Although there’s been talk at the moment of reforming F1 further beyond the raft of changes that have entered the sport in 2014 – rumors persisted over the weekend that disgraced ex-Renault boss Flavio Briatore would be brought in to help improve the show – Ecclestone said the sport rather needs a bit of fine tuning.
“We just want to operate fine tuning. All the stupid and unnecessary rules that have been added in recent years, it should be no more,” he said.
He also praised the race organizers in Hungary, who didn’t need to call a single penalty during the wet-dry race.
Bernie’s not the only one suggesting common sense, it seems. NBC Sports Group F1 pit reporter and insider Will Buxton wrote a blog piece Monday – titled “New Coke” – noting that F1 is trying to fix problems that don’t currently exist and whereby could have the adverse effects of damaging the brand, much like New Coke did in the mid-1980s.
Both the AMUS and Buxton blogs are worth a read. The question now here is whether Ecclestone’s wishes can be overruled and the standing restarts overturned before they are set to be introduced next season.
- Hawksworth: “I wouldn’t say it was crazy; it was exciting” 0
- Graham Rahal’s Fontana win was long overdue, and a long time coming 0
- Report: Roger Penske intends to keep his ‘four aces’ in IndyCar 0
- Mario Andretti gets Jay Leno up to speed — and then some 1
- NHRA: Antron Brown looks to make Top Fuel fireworks this weekend 1
- MAVTV 500: Despite being nerve-racking to crazy, drivers glad safety won out 3
- WATCH: IndyCar’s frantic, thrilling MAVTV 500 to re-air at midnight ET on NBCSN 6