Jul 30, 2014, 5:38 PM EDT
Wednesday was a big news day in NASCAR, and NASCAR AMERICA hit the key topics as Denny Hamlin weighed in on the large penalties assessed to his No. 11 Joe Gibbs Racing team and Dale Earnhardt Jr.‘s new crew chief for 2015 was named.
Hamlin joined the NASCAR AMERICA crew to discuss the penalty that was dealt to his team after the Brickyard 400. Hamlin’s crew chief and car chief were suspended for six races and he was docked 75 points in the Chase. Hamlin says the penalties will force him to be even more focused on race day.
The NASCAR AMERICA crew analyzed the points penalty, suspension, and fine of the team’s crew chief Darian Grubb, as Hamlin’s car did not have its rear firewall block-off plates sealed off Sunday at the Brickyard 400. The penalty is ranked a P5 penalty on NASCAR’s new penalty ranking scale (with penalties ranked from P1 as the lowest and P6 as the highest).
In the wake of the penalties assessed to the No. 11 car, Joe Gibbs Racing plans to appeal. The team had three cars finish in the top four at the Brickyard 400, but the celebration was halted as Hamlin and his team were penalized after his car failed a post-race inspection. Kyle Petty and Jeff Burton believe the punishment is fair, but would like more consistency on these decisions from NASCAR.
Meanwhile the announcement Greg Ives will take over as Earnhardt Jr.’s crew chief from 2015 on the No. 88 Hendrick Motorsports entry was the biggest new news from Wednesday. The NASCAR AMERICA crew believes Ives is ready to handle the pressure of working with NASCAR’s most popular driver. Ives replaces NBC Sports-bound Steve Letarte.
Video from NASCAR America
- 2014 Japanese Grand Prix Preview 0
- Caterham denies future is at risk despite goods being seized 2
- Simona de Silvestro’s F1 hopes at risk due to financial problems 11
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 1
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 24