Jul 31, 2014, 11:01 AM EST
If you collect NASCAR memorabilia and someone approaches you in the coming days with a deal that seems too good to be true – especially if it involves merchandise related to either Dale Earnhardt Sr. or Dale Earnhardt Jr. – it probably is.
Police in Phenix City, Ala., not far from Talladega Superspeedway, are investigating the theft of a large NASCAR memorabilia collection worth more than $20,000, according to the Opelika-Auburn News and OANow.com.
Officials from the Lee County Sheriff’s Office are investigating the incident, which occurred on Sunday.
According to Sheriff’s Office Capt. Van Jackson, the stolen collection contained a number of items related to Dale Earnhardt, but he wasn’t sure if it the memorabilia was of the late Dale Earnhardt Sr. or son Dale Jr.
“This victim was in the process of moving from one place to another and had came back to move some more stuff,” Jackson told OANow.com. “He then discovered that someone had been into that residence and stole those items.”
It’s possible that the thief may have made his getaway and carried away his loot on a Honda Recon 250 all-terrain vehicle, which was also among items stolen in the theft.
“This is not common that we would have a volume of these types of items that were stolen at one location,” Jackson said. “We’d be very interested if someone was approached about trying to buy some, sell some or anything like that.”
If you’re approached by a potential seller, sheriff’s officials ask that you call them at 1-334-749-5651. Or, you can leave an anonymous tip at Lee County Crime Stoppers at 1-888-522-7847.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Toro Rosso reveals STR10 ahead of Jerez test 0
- Long: Journey for Wendell Scott’s family ends with a kiss (VIDEO) 0
- Elliott, Lorenzen, White, Scott, and Weatherly enter NASCAR Hall of Fame (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0
- Gridiron Challenge: NASCAR drivers take football stars for a spin (VIDEO) 1
- Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony headlines 6.5 hours of NASCAR on NBCSN 0
- Ferrari reveals SF15-T for 2015 Formula 1 season 5