Jul 31, 2014, 11:01 AM EDT
If you collect NASCAR memorabilia and someone approaches you in the coming days with a deal that seems too good to be true – especially if it involves merchandise related to either Dale Earnhardt Sr. or Dale Earnhardt Jr. – it probably is.
Police in Phenix City, Ala., not far from Talladega Superspeedway, are investigating the theft of a large NASCAR memorabilia collection worth more than $20,000, according to the Opelika-Auburn News and OANow.com.
Officials from the Lee County Sheriff’s Office are investigating the incident, which occurred on Sunday.
According to Sheriff’s Office Capt. Van Jackson, the stolen collection contained a number of items related to Dale Earnhardt, but he wasn’t sure if it the memorabilia was of the late Dale Earnhardt Sr. or son Dale Jr.
“This victim was in the process of moving from one place to another and had came back to move some more stuff,” Jackson told OANow.com. “He then discovered that someone had been into that residence and stole those items.”
It’s possible that the thief may have made his getaway and carried away his loot on a Honda Recon 250 all-terrain vehicle, which was also among items stolen in the theft.
“This is not common that we would have a volume of these types of items that were stolen at one location,” Jackson said. “We’d be very interested if someone was approached about trying to buy some, sell some or anything like that.”
If you’re approached by a potential seller, sheriff’s officials ask that you call them at 1-334-749-5651. Or, you can leave an anonymous tip at Lee County Crime Stoppers at 1-888-522-7847.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Power steals final pole of IndyCar’s 2015 season with new track record at Sonoma 2
- Oriol Servia reflects on his friend Justin Wilson, as he races No. 25 car at Sonoma (VIDEO) 0
- IndyCar’s championship contenders ready their thoughts, minds for Sonoma finale 1
- Here are your NBCSN TV times, weekend coverage plan for IndyCar’s Sonoma season finale 0
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 4
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 5