Aug 1, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
The next generation of stock car racing’s fabled Alabama Gang has now officially arrived.
Justin Allison, grandson of 10-time Sprint Cup race winner Donnie Allison, captured his first checkered flag in the ARCA Racing Series today in the ModSpace 125 at Pocono Raceway.
With the victory, Allison is now the third member of his prestigious family to win in the ARCA series. The late Davey Allison won eight times in the series, while 1983 Sprint Cup champion Bobby Allison earned a single win.
“I don’t even have words, man,” a stunned Justin told Fox Sports in Victory Lane. “I think we had a good car – we were struggling a little bit with being tight. But I can’t thank these guys enough. Without them, it wouldn’t be possible…This is awesome.”
Allison inherited the lead late in the 50-lap event, but still had to fend off the pursuit of Will Kimmel on the final lap.
Kimmel was on the same fuel strategy as Allison, rising up to second after leaders Brendan Poole and Justin Boston pitted under green before Lap 40 (ARCA rules require all cars to pit at least once before the race reaches 10 laps to go).
Tom Hessert also benefited from the strategy and moved up to third, which is where he’d finish ahead of Poole and Boston in fourth and fifth.
The call was made to bring Allison to the pits after a couple of cautions marred the early going. Allison may have been surprised by it, but he wasn’t about to argue with the result.
“That was definitely the right call,” Allison said. “We didn’t talk about it or plan to pit early, but all of a sudden, when the caution came out, they were like ‘Pit now, pit now.’
“I’m happy with the way things worked out.”
The victory drew congratulations from many in the stock car community, including Davey’s widow, Liz Allison, and Dale Earnhardt Jr., who worked for the Allisons while growing up.
- NHRA: Beckman blazes to second Funny Car win of season at Kansas; Crampton, Enders-Stevens also win 0
- Ryan: Juan Pablo Montoya comes full circle at Indianapolis 1
- F1 Paddock Pass: Monaco Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 2
- Montoya rallies for second Indianapolis 500 victory (VIDEO) 6
- Hamilton: Impossible to express how I feel after Monaco defeat 4
- Rosberg lucks in to third straight Monaco GP win after Mercedes’ mistake costs Hamilton victory 52
- 2015 Indy 500 driver-by-driver one-liners 0