Aug 1, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
With Darian Grubb suspended for the next six Sprint Cup races, Mike Wheeler will step in to serve as interim crew chief for Denny Hamlin and the No. 11 Joe Gibbs Racing team starting this weekend at Pocono.
Wheeler usually serves as race engineer for the No. 11 car and has been with the JGR organization for over a decade. But while Wheeler is an experienced hand, NASCAR AMERICA analyst Kyle Petty wonders if the team can adapt to the situation – even though Hamlin can help take some of the pressure off by staying his normal front-running self at the Tricky Triangle.
Meanwhile, it would appear that NASCAR’s biggest power players, Hendrick Motorsports and Team Penske, have an advantage going into Pocono in regards to horsepower for getting down the long straightaways.
Those teams are who Petty is looking at when he makes his predictions on the outcome of Sunday’s GoBowling.com 400.
Video from NASCAR America
- 2014 United States Grand Prix Preview 0
- Road To: Mercedes teaser – The very first Mercedes-Benz car (VIDEO) 0
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 1
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 2
- Has Formula 1 cracked the U.S. market in Austin? 3
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0
- Krista Voda to become host for NASCAR on NBC coverage next year 2