Aug 1, 2014, 6:45 PM EST
With Darian Grubb suspended for the next six Sprint Cup races, Mike Wheeler will step in to serve as interim crew chief for Denny Hamlin and the No. 11 Joe Gibbs Racing team starting this weekend at Pocono.
Wheeler usually serves as race engineer for the No. 11 car and has been with the JGR organization for over a decade. But while Wheeler is an experienced hand, NASCAR AMERICA analyst Kyle Petty wonders if the team can adapt to the situation – even though Hamlin can help take some of the pressure off by staying his normal front-running self at the Tricky Triangle.
Meanwhile, it would appear that NASCAR’s biggest power players, Hendrick Motorsports and Team Penske, have an advantage going into Pocono in regards to horsepower for getting down the long straightaways.
Those teams are who Petty is looking at when he makes his predictions on the outcome of Sunday’s GoBowling.com 400.
Video from NASCAR America
- Force India confirms Sergio Perez on multi-year deal 0
- Nico Rosberg rallies to pole position in Abu Dhabi 0
- Rosberg closes out Abu Dhabi practice fastest 0
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Jimmie Johnson: Kevin Harvick winning Sprint Cup title was “the right thing” 20
- 2014 F1 championship showdown preview: Nico Rosberg 0
- 2014 F1 championship showdown preview: Lewis Hamilton 0