Aug 1, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
With Darian Grubb suspended for the next six Sprint Cup races, Mike Wheeler will step in to serve as interim crew chief for Denny Hamlin and the No. 11 Joe Gibbs Racing team starting this weekend at Pocono.
Wheeler usually serves as race engineer for the No. 11 car and has been with the JGR organization for over a decade. But while Wheeler is an experienced hand, NASCAR AMERICA analyst Kyle Petty wonders if the team can adapt to the situation – even though Hamlin can help take some of the pressure off by staying his normal front-running self at the Tricky Triangle.
Meanwhile, it would appear that NASCAR’s biggest power players, Hendrick Motorsports and Team Penske, have an advantage going into Pocono in regards to horsepower for getting down the long straightaways.
Those teams are who Petty is looking at when he makes his predictions on the outcome of Sunday’s GoBowling.com 400.
- NHRA: Capps storms to 2nd win of season, Funny Car points lead 1
- Relief, gratitude define the day where Newgarden finally gets first win (VIDEO) 0
- Graham Rahal can’t close deal in runner-up finish at Barber 2
- Josef Newgarden scores his first IndyCar win at Barber 10
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick victorious on debut ADAC F4 weekend 1