Aug 1, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
With Darian Grubb suspended for the next six Sprint Cup races, Mike Wheeler will step in to serve as interim crew chief for Denny Hamlin and the No. 11 Joe Gibbs Racing team starting this weekend at Pocono.
Wheeler usually serves as race engineer for the No. 11 car and has been with the JGR organization for over a decade. But while Wheeler is an experienced hand, NASCAR AMERICA analyst Kyle Petty wonders if the team can adapt to the situation – even though Hamlin can help take some of the pressure off by staying his normal front-running self at the Tricky Triangle.
Meanwhile, it would appear that NASCAR’s biggest power players, Hendrick Motorsports and Team Penske, have an advantage going into Pocono in regards to horsepower for getting down the long straightaways.
Those teams are who Petty is looking at when he makes his predictions on the outcome of Sunday’s GoBowling.com 400.
Video from NASCAR America
- Marussia also set to miss United States GP 3
- Jimmie Johnson: ‘That day is out there’ when he’ll split with crew chief Chad Knaus 7
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 3
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 1