Aug 1, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
Kurt Busch posted a lap of 180.353 miles per hour to lead the way in this afternoon’s NASCAR Sprint Cup Series practice session for the GoBowling.com 400 at Pocono Raceway.
Qualifying is scheduled for 3:40 p.m. ET on the 2.5-mile “Tricky Triangle,” but rain is in the forecast for later today.
If that three-round session is rained out, then the grid will be set on today’s practice speeds with Busch starting Sunday’s main event from the pole position.
“It was good with our race runs and then to go to [qualifying] trim and still have that speed,” Busch told Fox Sports. “You gotta do it over three runs here now – it’s not just that one magic lap to try and sit on the pole.
“We were outside pole here though in June, and we want one spot better, so the Haas Automation Chevy’s fast right now.”
Keselowski, who lost at Pocono in June when an attempt to have the lapped car of Danica Patrick clean his trash-covered grille went awry, topped out at 180.155 mph. Logano was close behind with his lap at 179.791 mph.
Kevin Harvick, A.J. Allmendinger, Brian Vickers, Dale Earnhardt Jr., and Jamie McMurray made up Positions 6-10. Other notables from the session included Danica Patrick in 11th and Brickyard 400 winner Jeff Gordon in 15th.
- Preview: Detroit’s doubleheader a crucial weekend for IndyCar championship 0
- ARCA: From welder to race car driver, Sarah Cornett-Ching continues her building prowess 2
- Taylor Swift to be featured on Tony Kanaan’s IndyCar in Detroit; will she make it to track? 7
- Surprises, struggles: NHRA at one-third mark of ’15 season 5
- FIA seeking new teams for Formula 1 in 2016 and 2017 8
- Gossage to Walker: “We need a more competitive race this year than last year” 2
- Volkswagen Andretti pair of Foust, Speed seek better fortunes, consistency 0