Aug 1, 2014, 8:49 PM EST
The NASCAR Nationwide Series began its standalone weekend at Iowa Speedway this afternoon with a pair of practice sessions on the 7/8-mile bullring for Saturday night’s U.S. Cellular 250.
A rookie and veteran managed to put up the fastest times in the two sessions. Chase Pistone (No. 31, Turner Scott Motorsports) was the quickest driver in the first practice with a lap of 132.142 miles per hour, and in the second practice, Road America winner Brendan Gaughan (pictured, No. 62, Richard Childress Racing) topped the time sheets with a lap of 133.469 mph.
In Practice 1, Pistone was followed by Sam Hornish Jr. (131.135 mph), who won the Nationwide race at Iowa in May. Nationwide Series title contender Regan Smith (130.999) was third, Gaughan (130.548) was fourth, and completing the Top 5 was Pistone’s teammate at TSM, Dylan Kwasniewski (130.489).
In Practice 2, Gaughan out-hustled JR Motorsports driver Josh Berry. Berry, making his inaugural Nationwide Series start, turned in a lap of 133.333 mph in the No. 5 Chevrolet that has been taken to Victory Lane in the NNS this year by Kevin Harvick (Richmond and Kentucky) and Kasey Kahne (Daytona).
Sprint Cup regular Brad Keselowski did not take part in Practice 1 due to his Sprint Cup duties at Pocono Raceway this afternoon. However, he flew to Iowa in time for Practice 2, where he posted the ninth-fastest lap (132.120) in the No. 22 Team Penske Ford.
Nationwide Series points leader Chase Elliott (+4 points over Smith) was 11th and then eighth in the two practices. Qualifying will go off tomorrow afternoon at 4:40 p.m. ET and the 250-lap race will commence shortly after 8 p.m. ET.
- Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix 0
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 0
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Sunday 1
- F1 pre-season testing ends with Bottas fastest for Williams 1