Aug 2, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
The Sochi International Street Circuit is nearing completion after the final layer of asphalt was laid ahead of its first hosting of the Russian Grand Prix this October.
The grand prix will be the first in Russia for 100 years, with two races being held in St. Petersburg in 1913 and 1914 before the outbreak of World War One, and it fulfils the long-term goal of F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone to take the sport to Russia.
All of the arrangements for the race to go ahead appear to have been made, with FIA race director Charlie Whiting visiting the circuit last month to see how the development was going.
“The last time I was here, it was a big building site. It’s been a year since I’ve been here and it looks beautiful now,” he said. “The track itself is going to be really fast and the drivers will love it. I’m sure of that.
“It’s clear that everything has been done really nicely. It will be a fast track, and I think it will be a really competitive track as there will be at least two or three places where drivers can overtake properly. I think that will be a very interesting track and a very spectacular race.”
Now that the final layer of asphalt has been laid, the last few arrangements can be made for the race which will take place on October 12th.
Of course, the race has come under intense scrutiny following the MH17 disaster and ongoing tensions in the region. Despite calls for the race to be cancelled, the eleven Formula 1 teams have confirmed that they will follow the lead of the sport’s governing body, the FIA, for the race.
- Indiana native Bryan Clauson ready for special Indy 500 return 1
- On eve of 300th IndyCar start, Helio Castroneves eyes record-tying fourth Indy 500 win 0
- Alex Tagliani to drive 3rd AJ Foyt car in Indy 500, will pay tribute to Dan Gurney 1
- NHRA legend John Force turns 66, not slowing down any time soon 1
- Montoya fastest on opening day of Indianapolis 500 practice 2
- Indy 500 refresher running, RoP gets underway today at IMS 0
- Chevrolet reveals its super speedway aero kit 2