Aug 2, 2014, 9:15 AM EST
He may have suffered more than his fair share of bad luck so far this season, but Lewis Hamilton believes that it has only made him stronger as he chases his second Formula 1 world title in 2014.
The Mercedes driver currently trails teammate Nico Rosberg by eleven points at the top of the standings, but he has suffered one more retirement than the German in races this season. In the past two races, technical failures during qualifying have left Hamilton starting from the back of the grid: he finished on the podium in both Germany (from P20) and Hungary (from the pit lane).
“It’s been damage limitation for me in the last couple of races and we’ve had some difficult weekends throughout this season,” Hamilton explained in an interview on the team’s official website. “But if I’m honest, looking back at it now, I wouldn’t want it any other way.
“Sometimes it’s nice to have things easy, but I love a challenge and I love a fight. It’s not the times of ease that show who you are – it’s the times of adversity.
“I definitely feel like the tough breaks I’ve had this year have made me stronger, and hopefully I’ve shown that I’ve got heart.”
Hamilton appears to have the momentum heading into the summer break, with the next race coming at the end of August with the Belgian Grand Prix.
“To have taken two podiums from difficult weekends before the break has been really satisfying,” he said. “It allows me to smile and enjoy this time off knowing that I still have an opportunity to fight for this championship.”
With just eleven points separating the two championship protagonists and eight races to go, this title fight looks set to rage on until the final round in Abu Dhabi, where double points could settle things.
Video from NASCAR America
- Ferrari chairman expects another tough season in 2015 0
- Carl Edwards: “I plan on winning 10 races and the championship” 3
- NASCAR: Dale Jr. expects even more performance in 2015 1
- UPDATED — Highway to Hell(cat): Owner wrecks 707-hp Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat one hour after buying it 53
- John Force like you’ve never seen him: ‘Papa John’ the grandfather (video) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 3
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 4