Aug 2, 2014, 11:43 AM EDT
Another day, another pole for Kyle Larson.
One day after earning his first career Sprint Cup pole, Larson did the same this morning in qualifying for the Camping World Truck Series at Pocono Raceway.
Thanks to a 168.913 mph lap around the 2.5-mile oval, he’ll lead the field to the green flag in this afternoon’s Pocono Mountains 150 (1 p.m. ET, check local listings).
Larson was able to claim the pole despite having to make an inside pass in Turn 2 around defending Truck Series champion Matt Crafton on his flyer lap.
“I was really hoping I wouldn’t get that close to Crafton,” Larson said to Fox Sports. “But I got a really good run coming to the green and got through Turn 1 good.
“I was hoping that maybe he’d get tight and it happened to him off [Turn 2] and it didn’t really affect my lap at all. It was a good run for us. This Chevrolet Silverado is really, really fast. Turner Scott Motorsports built a great truck and it’s gonna be a fun race.”
Joining Larson on the front row will be his main rival for Sprint Cup rookie of the year honors. Austin Dillon‘s lap of 168.558 mph was enough to put his Richard Childress Racing Chevy second on the grid.
Behind them will be Brad Keselowski Racing’s Tyler Reddick and one of Larson’s TSM teammates, Ben Kennedy, in Row 2. Timothy Peters and Johnny Sauter are in Row 3, followed by Justin Lofton and BKR driver/Truck Series points leader Ryan Blaney in Row 4.
As for the third Sprint Cup regular that’s competing in today’s Truck race, Clint Bowyer will start 10th alongside Crafton in Row 5.
- Double points reverse Montoya’s IndyCar championship hopes (VIDEO) 6
- Scott Dixon captures Sonoma race win and 2015 IndyCar championship (VIDEO) 10
- Robin Miller pays tribute to Justin Wilson (VIDEO) 3
- WATCH LIVE: IndyCar’s championship decided in Sonoma at 1 p.m. PT, 4 ET on NBCSN 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Sonoma (4 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Porsche’s no. 17 car surges to maiden WEC victory in 6 Hours of Nürburgring 2
- Audi boss Ullrich laughs off continual F1 rumors 2