Aug 2, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
The 2014 edition of Formula 1’s ‘silly season’ is proving to be one of the most intriguing and frankly silly yet. Why? Because we’re already making predictions about the grid for the 2016 season.
Much of the driver market is thought to revolve around McLaren’s seats, with Fernando Alonso and Sebastian Vettel just two of the drivers being linked to Woking. However, Vettel is also being chased by Mercedes according to Red Bull advisor Helmut Marko, even if Christian Horner says otherwise.
Niki Lauda has become the latest figure to chip in on the argument, and in his typical no-nonsense fashion, the Mercedes non-executive director has been pretty frank about the chances of Vettel joining the German marque as a replacement for Lewis Hamilton.
“We are already in touch with him [Hamilton] to renew his contract,” Lauda told Sky Sports. “All the speculation of bull*** Marko is absolute rubbish.”
Speaking to Sport Bild last month, Marko said that it was clear that Mercedes was chasing Vettel, saying: “Of course they target him, and they are not the only team. McLaren-Honda made Sebastian an outrageously high offer.”
With Hamilton closing in on a new contract with Mercedes and McLaren thought to be angling for either Fernando Alonso or Valtteri Bottas for 2016, Vettel does look set to stay with Red Bull for the time being. Although the defending world champions have struggled in 2014, team principal Christian Horner has no concerns about Vettel’s happiness.
“Well usually it’s the start of the silly season where he’s either going to Ferrari or Eric [Boullier] made him a big offer or maybe going to Mercedes,” he joked in Hungary. “So, we just wait to see which team it’s going to be.
“Sebastian is absolutely committed to the team. There’s no doubt at all that he’ll be with Red Bull next year and he’s enjoyed so much success with the team, he’s happy with the team and the team are very happy with him.”
Video from NASCAR America
- Singapore GP, Red Bull GRC highlight weekend’s NBC motorsports coverage 0
- NASCAR: Richard Petty Motorsports committed to two-car program in 2015 3
- NASCAR: STANLEY, DEWALT join JGR in 2015 2
- NASCAR AMERICA: One Sprint Cup title not enough for Keselowski (VIDEO) 0
- IndyCar’s Mikhail Aleshin released from Indianapolis hospital 0
- DA will submit evidence from Tony Stewart/Kevin Ward Jr. case to grand jury 25
- Renault’s Taffin: Fuel consumption could well be an issue in Singapore 1