Aug 2, 2014, 9:06 PM EDT
He never tried it during his seven-season stint in NASCAR, but now that he’s back full-time in IndyCar, Juan Pablo Montoya is thinking about doing the “double” next season.
Partly inspired by what Kurt Busch did in May, racing in the Indianapolis 500 and then later that night in NASCAR’s Coca-Cola 600, Montoya is going to try and sell team owner Roger Penske on the idea for next year, according to MRN.com’s Dustin Long.
“If (Penske) wanted me to do it, then I probably would do it,” Montoya said, according to Long. “(Running both races in the same day) would be cool. But I don’t want to force (Penske) into anything.”
Although he’s full-time now on the Verizon IndyCar Series, the 2000 Indianapolis 500-winning Montoya has competed in two Sprint Cup races this season, finishing 18th at Michigan and 23rd last Sunday in the Brickyard 400 at Indianapolis.
“The hard thing is … to be honest, we did one day of testing at Nashville,” Montoya said. “We went to Michigan and we struggled all weekend with the rear of the car. We struggled in qualifying being on the splitter. In the race we were the other way; we were so loose. We unloaded in Indy the same way – like sideways.”
Montoya, who finished fifth in this year’s Indy 500, is ready to embrace a full 1,100 miles in the same day.
Who knows, he may even share an airplane flight from Indy to Charlotte with Busch, who is reportedly considering doing the double once again in 2015.
“Physically I don’t think it would be that hard, to be honest with you,” Montoya said. “If you want to do it properly, it would be a lot of fun. … There are a lot of possibilities if you think about it.”
Of the four, Stewart is the only one to finish both races on the same day, having done so in 2001.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- NHRA: ‘Fast Jack’ Beckman earns 5th Funny Car win of 2015; Brown (TF), McGaha (PS), Krawiec (PSM) also win 4
- After dream-fulfilling day, Graham Rahal isn’t worried anymore 0
- Graham Rahal now trails Montoya by nine points in IndyCar standings 3
- Karam’s Mid-Ohio spin triggers frustration, skepticism from IndyCar paddock 11
- Rahal scores dream win on home soil in Honda 200 at Mid-Ohio 4
- Helio Castroneves leads halfway through the Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Mid-Ohio (1:30 p.m. ET, CNBC and Live Extra) 0