Aug 2, 2014, 10:49 AM EST
The Wood Brothers may have found their man to replace the outgoing Trevor Bayne.
A report from Motorsport.com relays word from unnamed sources that Camping World Truck Series championship leader Ryan Blaney will drive a limited Sprint Cup schedule next year for the Wood Brothers in addition to a Nationwide Series schedule for Team Penske.
The Wood Brothers have run a part-time Cup schedule for Bayne over the last four seasons, but the former Daytona 500 champion will be competing full-time in Cup next season for Roush Fenway Racing.
Blaney has been growing a solid resume in NASCAR’s lower two national series.
This year in the Trucks, he’s racked up six Top-5s and eight Top-10s to take over the top of the standings. He’s also carried over the consistency to his part-time Nationwide role with Penske, earning three Top-5s and six Top-10s in seven 2014 starts.
The 20-year-old made his Cup debut earlier this year for Penske at Kansas, finishing 27th.
Penske vice president Jonathan Gibson issued a statement via e-mail yesterday that said the team has “a plan for [Blaney’s] progression with Team Penske” but that nothing has been finalized as of now.
Meanwhile, Blaney says he remains set on nailing down a Truck Series title for Cup driver Brad Keselowski‘s team.
“We’re focused on winning the truck championship this year and focused on this weekend at Pocono,” Blaney said according to NASCAR.com. “Keep growing this (program). Those days will sort themselves out down the road.
“…Right now, I’m focused with the truck team at BKR and trying to win as many of these races, along with Nationwide races, as we can.”
Video from NASCAR America
- Carl Edwards: “I plan on winning 10 races and the championship” 2
- NASCAR: Dale Jr. expects even more performance in 2015 1
- UPDATED — Highway to Hell(cat): Owner wrecks 707-hp Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat one hour after buying it 53
- John Force like you’ve never seen him: ‘Papa John’ the grandfather (video) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 3
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 4
- Vergne joins Ferrari as a test driver 1