Aug 2, 2014, 10:49 AM EDT
The Wood Brothers may have found their man to replace the outgoing Trevor Bayne.
A report from Motorsport.com relays word from unnamed sources that Camping World Truck Series championship leader Ryan Blaney will drive a limited Sprint Cup schedule next year for the Wood Brothers in addition to a Nationwide Series schedule for Team Penske.
The Wood Brothers have run a part-time Cup schedule for Bayne over the last four seasons, but the former Daytona 500 champion will be competing full-time in Cup next season for Roush Fenway Racing.
Blaney has been growing a solid resume in NASCAR’s lower two national series.
This year in the Trucks, he’s racked up six Top-5s and eight Top-10s to take over the top of the standings. He’s also carried over the consistency to his part-time Nationwide role with Penske, earning three Top-5s and six Top-10s in seven 2014 starts.
The 20-year-old made his Cup debut earlier this year for Penske at Kansas, finishing 27th.
Penske vice president Jonathan Gibson issued a statement via e-mail yesterday that said the team has “a plan for [Blaney’s] progression with Team Penske” but that nothing has been finalized as of now.
Meanwhile, Blaney says he remains set on nailing down a Truck Series title for Cup driver Brad Keselowski‘s team.
“We’re focused on winning the truck championship this year and focused on this weekend at Pocono,” Blaney said according to NASCAR.com. “Keep growing this (program). Those days will sort themselves out down the road.
“…Right now, I’m focused with the truck team at BKR and trying to win as many of these races, along with Nationwide races, as we can.”
- Here are your TV times for this weekend’s Italian Grand Prix on NBCSN, Live Extra 0
- James Hinchcliffe describes how inspired he was by Justin Wilson 1
- Dixon: “I don’t think anybody had a stellar season” 5
- Watkins Glen, Baltimore stand out for Stefan Wilson’s favorite race memories of brother Justin 1
- Report: Derrick Walker reflects on IndyCar tenure and future 1
- Scott Dixon awarded $1 million for fourth championship at IndyCar banquet 1
- Hulkenberg extends contract with Force India for two more years 1