Aug 3, 2014, 12:15 PM EST
Esteban Gutierrez is hoping to open talks with Sauber regarding a new contract for 2015 in the next few weeks despite a difficult campaign in 2014.
The Mexican driver has failed to score any points alongside teammate Adrian Sutil (who is also point-less) as the C33 car continues to give all at the Swiss team a headache. Gutierrez did look capable of scoring points in Monaco and Hungary, but retired from both races.
He is currently embroiled in a five-way fight for a seat at Sauber next season with Sutil, reserve driver Giedo van der Garde, young protege Sergey Sirotkin and affiliate driver Simona de Silvestro. However, he still hopes to sit down and sort out a new deal in the next few weeks.
“That’s something we need to speak [about] in the next few weeks,” Gutierrez explained to Sky. “Obviously it’s a subject that we’ll bring up pretty soon and something that we also need to look after certain opportunities that we can get around and see what’s really the most convenient one.”
Gutierrez made no secrets of his struggles in Formula 1 this season, but is up for a fight to keep his place on the grid for 2015.
“It’s really been very challenging for me because I’m only 22-years-old,” the sophomore racer said. “Obviously in your second year when it’s critical you really want to be in the position to show what you can do and at the moment I’m not really in that position.
“It’s a challenge, I love challenges and I need to enjoy this process as well.”
Video from NASCAR America
- IndyCar’s Graham Rahal, NHRA’s Courtney Force engaged 3
- Police seek cause of death of race fan found near Talladega 0
- MST exclusive: BK Racing co-owner Anthony Marlowe apologizes for Cole Whitt/David Ragan tweet controversy 0
- What we’re thankful for in the motorsports world, 2014 1
- Sam Hornish Jr. has much to be thankful for: new home, renewed Sprint Cup hopes with Richard Petty Motorsports 5
- NBCSN’s F1 coverage delivers best ever single-season numbers for a cable network 6
- Mercedes reserve Wehrlein leads final Abu Dhabi test day to end 2014 0