Aug 3, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT
Esteban Gutierrez is hoping to open talks with Sauber regarding a new contract for 2015 in the next few weeks despite a difficult campaign in 2014.
The Mexican driver has failed to score any points alongside teammate Adrian Sutil (who is also point-less) as the C33 car continues to give all at the Swiss team a headache. Gutierrez did look capable of scoring points in Monaco and Hungary, but retired from both races.
He is currently embroiled in a five-way fight for a seat at Sauber next season with Sutil, reserve driver Giedo van der Garde, young protege Sergey Sirotkin and affiliate driver Simona de Silvestro. However, he still hopes to sit down and sort out a new deal in the next few weeks.
“That’s something we need to speak [about] in the next few weeks,” Gutierrez explained to Sky. “Obviously it’s a subject that we’ll bring up pretty soon and something that we also need to look after certain opportunities that we can get around and see what’s really the most convenient one.”
Gutierrez made no secrets of his struggles in Formula 1 this season, but is up for a fight to keep his place on the grid for 2015.
“It’s really been very challenging for me because I’m only 22-years-old,” the sophomore racer said. “Obviously in your second year when it’s critical you really want to be in the position to show what you can do and at the moment I’m not really in that position.
“It’s a challenge, I love challenges and I need to enjoy this process as well.”
- IndyCar beats the rain, Castroneves, Penske beats the field in Barber qualifying (VIDEO) 0
- WSR: Rowland wins Formula Renault 3.5 season-opener at Motorland Aragon 0
- Preview: Barber marks end of IndyCar’s first quarter of 2015 (VIDEO) 0
- Ryan Hunter-Reay looks to right 2015 season by completing winning trilogy at Barber Motorsports Park 0
- As GP2 turns 10 years old, where is the Class of ’05 now? 0
- Here’s your IndyCar times for this weekend’s Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama 0
- F1: Year-on-year, Ferrari’s gains, Mercedes’ continued edge reins after four races 1