Aug 3, 2014, 11:29 AM EDT
As KV Racing Technology looks for its second win of the season, its pair of entries ran 1-2 in the morning warmup for the Verizon IndyCar Series Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN).
Polesitter Sebastien Bourdais in the No. 11 Mistic KVSH Racing Chevrolet and Sebastian Saavedra in the No. 17 KV/AFS Racing Chevrolet led the session, both in the 1:06 range at the 2.258-mile permanent road course.
The 30-minute warmup was delayed due to fog, which prevented a medical helicopter from landing outside the circuit.
Ryan Hunter-Reay, Scott Dixon and Ryan Briscoe rounded out the top five.
Interestingly no one really took the opportunity to run on the Firestone red alternate tires that much during the session. Due to the mixed conditions during qualifying, no one opted to run the reds there. Will Power and Carlos Huertas were the two drivers I saw who ran the reds to scuff them in, but otherwise red action was limited.
Most teams will have the three full sets of reds available for Sunday’s race. It sets up a likely strategic chess match between teams as to whether to run a two or three-stop strategy, and when will each team opt to run the reds.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: One Sprint Cup title not enough for Brad Keselowski (VIDEO) 0
- IndyCar’s Mikhail Aleshin released from Indianapolis hospital 0
- DA will submit evidence from Tony Stewart/Kevin Ward Jr. case to grand jury 12
- Renault’s Taffin: Fuel consumption could well be an issue in Singapore 1
- Jeff Gordon makes strong ‘Drive For Five’ start, also has high praise for Kyle Larson in Chase opener 2
- Keselowski surges between Harvick, Larson to win Chase opener at Chicagoland 0
- For 16 Sprint Cup drivers, the time is here: ready, set, Chase 0