Aug 3, 2014, 1:50 PM EST
An engine failure on his No. 18 Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota has put Kyle Busch out of today’s GoBowling.com 400 at Pocono Raceway.
On Lap 23, Busch suddenly began to slow down from 17th position. As he made his way to the pits, smoke started to billow from the back of his car before he stopped in his pit box.
After popping the hood of his car, Busch’s crew took the car back to the garage.
“Something between the frame rails doesn’t seem to operate correctly right now,” said Busch, who had finished runner-up in three of the last four races heading into today’s race.
“It’s unfortunate. I thought we had a good car today. Our car’s been good this weekend in practices…Obviously, you hope for better days and this team deserves better days, but this ain’t one of ‘em.”
Busch started today’s race in seventh and had made an early strategy call by pitting under the first yellow of the day at Lap 9.
Video from NASCAR America
- Sam Hornish Jr. has much to be thankful for: new home, renewed Sprint Cup hopes with Richard Petty Motorsports 0
- NBCSN’s F1 coverage delivers best ever single-season numbers for a cable network 4
- Mercedes reserve Wehrlein leads final Abu Dhabi test day to end 2014 0
- Jean-Eric Vergne confirms Toro Rosso exit 3
- Bottas leads as McLaren-Honda delayed on first day of Abu Dhabi test 6
- Steve Letarte reflects on Hendrick Motorsports career in “exit interview” (VIDEO) 3
- Weekend wrap: Lewis Hamilton back on top of the F1 mountain 4