Aug 3, 2014, 1:50 PM EDT
An engine failure on his No. 18 Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota has put Kyle Busch out of today’s GoBowling.com 400 at Pocono Raceway.
On Lap 23, Busch suddenly began to slow down from 17th position. As he made his way to the pits, smoke started to billow from the back of his car before he stopped in his pit box.
After popping the hood of his car, Busch’s crew took the car back to the garage.
“Something between the frame rails doesn’t seem to operate correctly right now,” said Busch, who had finished runner-up in three of the last four races heading into today’s race.
“It’s unfortunate. I thought we had a good car today. Our car’s been good this weekend in practices…Obviously, you hope for better days and this team deserves better days, but this ain’t one of ‘em.”
Busch started today’s race in seventh and had made an early strategy call by pitting under the first yellow of the day at Lap 9.
- Practice setbacks leave Hamilton “quite a bit off” in Malaysia (VIDEO) 2
- Verizon IndyCar Series 2015 preseason content roundup 0
- Hamilton hits back by topping second practice in Malaysia 0
- Rosberg quickest in Malaysia FP1 as Hamilton hits trouble 2
- Now IndyCar’s champion, Will Power’s mindset hasn’t changed heading into 2015 0
- Alonso moves to clear up testing crash conspiracy theories 2
- NHRA Funny Car driver Cruz Pedregon trades seats for a day with NASCAR counterpart Joey Logano 2