Aug 3, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT
While Joe Gibbs Racing says they will appeal NASCAR’s post-Indy penalties against its No. 11 Sprint Cup team, crew chief Darian Grubb and car chief Wesley Sherrill have begun serving their six-race suspensions.
As a result, driver Denny Hamlin and the No. 11 team will have Mike Wheeler serve as interim crew chief for today’s GoBowling.com 400 at Pocono Raceway, which will begin a few minutes after the top of the hour.
In addition, former car chief Chris Gillin is also stepping in to help this weekend at the Tricky Triangle. Gillin normally serves as a powertrain development manager for JGR.
As we get closer to the green flag, Grubb has sent his best wishes and thanks to Wheeler and Gillin via Twitter…
The expectations for Wheeler, Hamlin, and the No. 11 team were discussed earlier this week on NASCAR AMERICA, which you can watch below. Wheeler, who normally serves as a race engineer, has been with the Gibbs organization for more than a decade.
Hamlin, a four-time winner at Pocono, will be starting 13th in today’s race.
- NHRA: ‘Fast Jack’ Beckman earns 5th Funny Car win of 2015; Brown (TF), McGaha (PS), Krawiec (PSM) also win 2
- After dream-fulfilling day, Graham Rahal isn’t worried anymore 0
- Graham Rahal now trails Montoya by nine points in IndyCar standings 1
- Karam’s Mid-Ohio spin triggers frustration, skepticism from IndyCar paddock 5
- Rahal scores dream win on home soil in Honda 200 at Mid-Ohio 2
- Helio Castroneves leads halfway through the Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Mid-Ohio (1:30 p.m. ET, CNBC and Live Extra) 0