Aug 3, 2014, 12:50 PM EDT
While Joe Gibbs Racing says they will appeal NASCAR’s post-Indy penalties against its No. 11 Sprint Cup team, crew chief Darian Grubb and car chief Wesley Sherrill have begun serving their six-race suspensions.
As a result, driver Denny Hamlin and the No. 11 team will have Mike Wheeler serve as interim crew chief for today’s GoBowling.com 400 at Pocono Raceway, which will begin a few minutes after the top of the hour.
In addition, former car chief Chris Gillin is also stepping in to help this weekend at the Tricky Triangle. Gillin normally serves as a powertrain development manager for JGR.
As we get closer to the green flag, Grubb has sent his best wishes and thanks to Wheeler and Gillin via Twitter…
The expectations for Wheeler, Hamlin, and the No. 11 team were discussed earlier this week on NASCAR AMERICA, which you can watch below. Wheeler, who normally serves as a race engineer, has been with the Gibbs organization for more than a decade.
Hamlin, a four-time winner at Pocono, will be starting 13th in today’s race.
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 7 p.m. ET recaps Talladega 0
- Remembering racing legend Raymond Beadle: ‘Once upon a time, I was the best at what I did’ 2
- Weekend wrap: Brad Keselowski rises up to Talladega challenge 0
- The irony of a winless driver winning a title in the new Chase still exists 3
- Roger Penske defends Keselowski, says other drivers “jealous” of his success 4
- What will NASCAR fans do now that their favorite drivers are eliminated from Chase? 9
- Brad Keselowski wins at Talladega on 2nd G-W-C attempt, advances in Chase 10