Aug 3, 2014, 12:50 PM EST
While Joe Gibbs Racing says they will appeal NASCAR’s post-Indy penalties against its No. 11 Sprint Cup team, crew chief Darian Grubb and car chief Wesley Sherrill have begun serving their six-race suspensions.
As a result, driver Denny Hamlin and the No. 11 team will have Mike Wheeler serve as interim crew chief for today’s GoBowling.com 400 at Pocono Raceway, which will begin a few minutes after the top of the hour.
In addition, former car chief Chris Gillin is also stepping in to help this weekend at the Tricky Triangle. Gillin normally serves as a powertrain development manager for JGR.
As we get closer to the green flag, Grubb has sent his best wishes and thanks to Wheeler and Gillin via Twitter…
The expectations for Wheeler, Hamlin, and the No. 11 team were discussed earlier this week on NASCAR AMERICA, which you can watch below. Wheeler, who normally serves as a race engineer, has been with the Gibbs organization for more than a decade.
Hamlin, a four-time winner at Pocono, will be starting 13th in today’s race.
Video from NASCAR America
- Sprint Cup champ Kevin Harvick: “I’m as comfortable as I’ve ever been” 0
- Danica Patrick enters final year of contract but wants to stay at Stewart-Haas 7
- Start times for 2015 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races 6
- Bowyer on Gordon: “You’re never good with somebody when it got that ugly” 21
- NASCAR considers unveiling 2016 rules at Sprint All-Star Race in May 2
- Kyle Busch says Toyota teams are “idiots” by not working close together 19
- Brian France: State of NASCAR is in a good place and getting better 5