Aug 3, 2014, 12:50 PM EST
While Joe Gibbs Racing says they will appeal NASCAR’s post-Indy penalties against its No. 11 Sprint Cup team, crew chief Darian Grubb and car chief Wesley Sherrill have begun serving their six-race suspensions.
As a result, driver Denny Hamlin and the No. 11 team will have Mike Wheeler serve as interim crew chief for today’s GoBowling.com 400 at Pocono Raceway, which will begin a few minutes after the top of the hour.
In addition, former car chief Chris Gillin is also stepping in to help this weekend at the Tricky Triangle. Gillin normally serves as a powertrain development manager for JGR.
As we get closer to the green flag, Grubb has sent his best wishes and thanks to Wheeler and Gillin via Twitter…
The expectations for Wheeler, Hamlin, and the No. 11 team were discussed earlier this week on NASCAR AMERICA, which you can watch below. Wheeler, who normally serves as a race engineer, has been with the Gibbs organization for more than a decade.
Hamlin, a four-time winner at Pocono, will be starting 13th in today’s race.
Video from NASCAR America
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Sunday 0
- Hamilton calls second title victory “the greatest day of my life” 2
- Hamilton clinches second F1 world title by winning Abu Dhabi GP 7
- The Final Showdown: Hamilton and Rosberg prepare for one final battle in Abu Dhabi 0
- Vettel and Ricciardo to start Abu Dhabi GP from pit lane 0
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0
- Red Bull drivers excluded from qualifying in Abu Dhabi 2