Aug 4, 2014, 9:57 PM EDT
Drag racer Mark Taliaferro is one very lucky individual after one of the season’s most horrific crashes during Sunday’s final eliminations of the O’Reilly Auto Parts Northwest Nationals at Pacific Raceways in Kent, Washington.
Taliaferro, from Odessa, Texas, competes in the NHRA’s Top Alcohol Dragster class, which is essentially the feeder class for Top Fuel. Think of it as being to the NHRA what the Nationwide Series is to the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series.
When he took the green “go” light at the starting line, Taliaferro immediately got into trouble — and things just got worse from there. After losing traction and smoking his tires, his car did a hard 90-degree turn, crossed the median stripe and hit the retaining wall on the opposite line head-on. The impact ruptured the engine, causing it to explode.
[RELATED: More on drag racing from MST]
Thankfully, as NHRA officials reported afterwards, Taliaferro was uninjured. But you can bet he’ll keep a copy of this tape to one day show his grandkids, if not become the latest installment of the “And They Walked Away” series.
In addition to checking out the video below, click here to visit Taliaferro’s Facebook page, which contains many more photos and information.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0
- Krista Voda to become host for NASCAR on NBC coverage next year 2
- VIDEO: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY Show, talks about F1 in the U.S. 2
- Tune-In: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY Show (PHOTOS) 1
- Different agendas for Jeff Gordon, Dale Jr. at Homestead test 1
- NBC, NBCSN set for mega U.S. Grand Prix weekend of coverage from Austin 2
- Lewis Hamilton to join TODAY Show on Wednesday 0