Aug 4, 2014, 12:59 PM EDT
His future in the sport may be a question mark, but for Marcos Ambrose, the immediate concern is heading to Watkins Glen International this weekend and resuming his level of domination he’s enjoyed since coming over to NASCAR at the circuit in the first place.
He’ll try for both that win and a win in Saturday’s NASCAR Nationwide Series event as well. It was announced Monday he’ll run the No. 09 STANLEY entry for RPM in that race.
“I love going to Watkins Glen and competing there,” Ambrose said in a team release. “I am really thankful to STANLEY for allowing me the opportunity to race in the Nationwide Series and giving me another opportunity to win there. We have had a good record in this race and at this track. I’d love to win again. It will also give me and my pit crew more time on the track as we hope to sweep the weekend.”
Ambrose has five Watkins Glen wins – both of his Cup career wins in 2011 and 2012, and three Nationwide wins.
On the Cup side, he also has a second and two thirds in three of his four remaining starts.
Ambrose currently ranks 17th in the Cup standings; he’s 49 behind Greg Biffle in 13th, and Biffle, currently holds down the 16th and final Chase spot as the fifth highest-ranked driver without a win this season (there have been 11 race winners).
- Hamilton tames wet conditions to grab pole in Malaysia 0
- WATCH LIVE: Malaysian GP qualifying at 5a ET on NBCSN and Live Extra 0
- Rosberg closes out Malaysian GP practice fastest 0
- NHRA: Rain washes out Friday’s first two rounds of qualifying four 4-Wide Nationals 2
- The Equalization Conundrum: Should F1 put sport to one side in favor of ‘the show’? 5
- Practice setbacks leave Hamilton “quite a bit off” in Malaysia (VIDEO) 2
- Verizon IndyCar Series 2015 preseason content roundup 0