Aug 4, 2014, 6:56 PM EDT
It’s no secret that pit crews practice their tasks for countless hours each season.
But just like in the NFL, when a center snaps a football to the quarterback, mistakes happen sometimes.
Such was the case for the No. 99 Sprint Cup team of Carl Edwards in Sunday’s GoBowling 400 at Pocono Raceway
According to Motorsport.com, veteran tire carrier Ryan McCray, was injured during one of Sunday’s pit stops.
In the exchange between carrying a fresh tire over the wall and then trying to put it on Edwards’ car, McCray, a 16-year tire carrier veteran, accidentally had the fingers on his left hand squeezed between the wheel and brake caliper.
Mike Lingerfelt, the tire changer for the No. 99 who works with McCray when it comes to changing tires, tweeted his regrets about the Lap 31 incident:
“I tightened his fingers up between the wheel and brake caliper on the LF. I feel really bad about it. But @RyanMcCray99 is tough!”
McCray, in turn, tweeted from the Pocono Raceway infield medical center that he was doing okay. He was treated and released after receiving treatment.
“Gotta thank everyone 4 picking up my slack today while I was watching the race in a comfy bed in the care center especially @MattyIceRacer”
“MattyIceRacer” is Matt Rawling, who serves as tire carrier for the No. 16 Roush Fenway Racing Nationwide Series team for Ryan Reed, was pressed into service to replace McCray and did a great job.
Here’s another tweet from McCray on what his injury looked like:
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- NHRA: ‘Fast Jack’ Beckman earns 5th Funny Car win of 2015; Brown (TF), McGaha (PS), Krawiec (PSM) also win 0
- After dream-fulfilling day, Graham Rahal isn’t worried anymore 0
- Graham Rahal now trails Montoya by nine points in IndyCar standings 1
- Karam’s Mid-Ohio spin triggers frustration, skepticism from IndyCar paddock 1
- Rahal scores dream win on home soil in Honda 200 at Mid-Ohio 2
- Helio Castroneves leads halfway through the Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Mid-Ohio (1:30 p.m. ET, CNBC and Live Extra) 0