Aug 4, 2014, 6:56 PM EDT
It’s no secret that pit crews practice their tasks for countless hours each season.
But just like in the NFL, when a center snaps a football to the quarterback, mistakes happen sometimes.
Such was the case for the No. 99 Sprint Cup team of Carl Edwards in Sunday’s GoBowling 400 at Pocono Raceway
According to Motorsport.com, veteran tire carrier Ryan McCray, was injured during one of Sunday’s pit stops.
In the exchange between carrying a fresh tire over the wall and then trying to put it on Edwards’ car, McCray, a 16-year tire carrier veteran, accidentally had the fingers on his left hand squeezed between the wheel and brake caliper.
Mike Lingerfelt, the tire changer for the No. 99 who works with McCray when it comes to changing tires, tweeted his regrets about the Lap 31 incident:
“I tightened his fingers up between the wheel and brake caliper on the LF. I feel really bad about it. But @RyanMcCray99 is tough!”
McCray, in turn, tweeted from the Pocono Raceway infield medical center that he was doing okay. He was treated and released after receiving treatment.
“Gotta thank everyone 4 picking up my slack today while I was watching the race in a comfy bed in the care center especially @MattyIceRacer”
“MattyIceRacer” is Matt Rawling, who serves as tire carrier for the No. 16 Roush Fenway Racing Nationwide Series team for Ryan Reed, was pressed into service to replace McCray and did a great job.
Here’s another tweet from McCray on what his injury looked like:
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Here are your British Grand Prix air times on CNBC, NBCSN, Live Extra 0
- Miles: After “two-sided pancake” Fontana race, IndyCar may crack down against stakeholder comments 1
- IndyCar issues penalties and fines following MAVTV 500 at Fontana 1
- NHRA shakeup: Tom Compton retires as president, Peter Clifford named successor 3
- Ed Carpenter: driver criticism of IndyCar ‘confusing for fans’ 12
- Hawksworth: “I wouldn’t say it was crazy; it was exciting” 2
- Graham Rahal’s Fontana win was long overdue, and a long time coming 0