Aug 4, 2014, 6:56 PM EDT
It’s no secret that pit crews practice their tasks for countless hours each season.
But just like in the NFL, when a center snaps a football to the quarterback, mistakes happen sometimes.
Such was the case for the No. 99 Sprint Cup team of Carl Edwards in Sunday’s GoBowling 400 at Pocono Raceway
According to Motorsport.com, veteran tire carrier Ryan McCray, was injured during one of Sunday’s pit stops.
In the exchange between carrying a fresh tire over the wall and then trying to put it on Edwards’ car, McCray, a 16-year tire carrier veteran, accidentally had the fingers on his left hand squeezed between the wheel and brake caliper.
Mike Lingerfelt, the tire changer for the No. 99 who works with McCray when it comes to changing tires, tweeted his regrets about the Lap 31 incident:
“I tightened his fingers up between the wheel and brake caliper on the LF. I feel really bad about it. But @RyanMcCray99 is tough!”
McCray, in turn, tweeted from the Pocono Raceway infield medical center that he was doing okay. He was treated and released after receiving treatment.
“Gotta thank everyone 4 picking up my slack today while I was watching the race in a comfy bed in the care center especially @MattyIceRacer”
“MattyIceRacer” is Matt Rawling, who serves as tire carrier for the No. 16 Roush Fenway Racing Nationwide Series team for Ryan Reed, was pressed into service to replace McCray and did a great job.
Here’s another tweet from McCray on what his injury looked like:
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 2
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 2
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 1
- NHRA: Pro Stock driver Erica Enders hitting on all cylinders heading into U.S. Nationals 3
- IndyCar flashback: Justin Wilson finishes second, Will Power/Scott Dixon controversy at Sonoma 2013 (video) 3
- Report: FIA to conduct closed cockpit tests next month 13
- DiZinno: Justin Wilson’s enduring legacy, positive spirit loom as large as his frame 2