Aug 5, 2014, 4:22 PM EST
The son of the Intimidator now holds the No. 1 seed in the Chase Grid after earning his third win of the season on Sunday at Pocono Raceway.
After his latest victory, however, Earnhardt said that he wasn’t looking ahead to the post-season just yet.
“You just kind of got to take it one week at a time and there are some areas that we need to get better as a team and as a company, and we are working there in those areas and trying to understand where that magic’s at for those particular events,” he said in post-race.
“So we’ll just keep working really hard…I believe that when you make assumptions, you end up sort of tricking yourself. If you start to count your chickens before they hatch, so to speak, you can kind of get yourself — you’re not focusing on the task in front of you.
“So that’s all we need to do. We just need to think about what’s going on tomorrow, what do we need to do tomorrow and how do we do it as good as we can do it.”
But while Earnhardt, crew chief Steve Letarte, and the No. 88 team are keeping to a step-by-step approach, the NASCAR AMERICA gang is wondering if the sport’s most popular driver can indeed ride his current momentum through the Chase.
You can check out what they have to say on the subject above.
Video from NASCAR America
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Sunday 0
- Hamilton calls second title victory “the greatest day of my life” 3
- Hamilton clinches second F1 world title by winning Abu Dhabi GP 8
- The Final Showdown: Hamilton and Rosberg prepare for one final battle in Abu Dhabi 0
- Vettel and Ricciardo to start Abu Dhabi GP from pit lane 0
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0
- Red Bull drivers excluded from qualifying in Abu Dhabi 2