Aug 5, 2014, 4:22 PM EST
The son of the Intimidator now holds the No. 1 seed in the Chase Grid after earning his third win of the season on Sunday at Pocono Raceway.
After his latest victory, however, Earnhardt said that he wasn’t looking ahead to the post-season just yet.
“You just kind of got to take it one week at a time and there are some areas that we need to get better as a team and as a company, and we are working there in those areas and trying to understand where that magic’s at for those particular events,” he said in post-race.
“So we’ll just keep working really hard…I believe that when you make assumptions, you end up sort of tricking yourself. If you start to count your chickens before they hatch, so to speak, you can kind of get yourself — you’re not focusing on the task in front of you.
“So that’s all we need to do. We just need to think about what’s going on tomorrow, what do we need to do tomorrow and how do we do it as good as we can do it.”
But while Earnhardt, crew chief Steve Letarte, and the No. 88 team are keeping to a step-by-step approach, the NASCAR AMERICA gang is wondering if the sport’s most popular driver can indeed ride his current momentum through the Chase.
You can check out what they have to say on the subject above.
Video from NASCAR America
- IndyCar’s Graham Rahal, NHRA’s Courtney Force engaged 3
- Police seek cause of death of race fan found near Talladega 0
- MST exclusive: BK Racing co-owner Anthony Marlowe apologizes for Cole Whitt/David Ragan tweet controversy 0
- What we’re thankful for in the motorsports world, 2014 1
- Sam Hornish Jr. has much to be thankful for: new home, renewed Sprint Cup hopes with Richard Petty Motorsports 5
- NBCSN’s F1 coverage delivers best ever single-season numbers for a cable network 6
- Mercedes reserve Wehrlein leads final Abu Dhabi test day to end 2014 0