Aug 5, 2014, 6:19 PM EDT
Today, multiple penalties came down from NASCAR after this past weekend’s Nationwide Series race at Iowa Speedway and Camping World Truck Series race at Pocono Raceway.
The No. 23 Rick Ware Racing Nationwide Series team was penalized for a rules infraction found during practice for the U.S. Cellular 250.
Improperly attached extra weight fell off the car during the session, which violated Section 20A-2.3A of the 2014 NASCAR rule book.
As a result, crew chief Jonas Bell has been fined $10,000 and placed on probation through the end of the year.
With regard to the Truck Series’ event at Pocono, the No. 17 Red Horse Racing team and the No. 6 team of Norm Benning were penalized for their own infractions.
During opening day inspection, the No. 17 violated Rule 20B-5.10.1 (6), which says the combined thickness of the throttle shaft and throttle plates must not be less than 0.197 inches. Crew chief Paul Richmond was fined $7,500 and also placed on probation through the end of the year.
The No. 6 team’s violation came during the Pocono Mountains 150 race itself on Saturday and involved improper use of a battery-powered impact wrench during tire changes. Section 9-15J says only two NASCAR-approved 1/2-inch drive air wrenches “with a single socket and with a hex design capable of removing and attaching one lug nut at a time” can be used.
The team will be penalized with a loss of track time during the Aug. 15 opening practice for the Truck Series’ next race at Michigan International Speedway.
- Preview: Barber marks end of IndyCar’s first quarter of 2015 (VIDEO) 0
- Ryan Hunter-Reay looks to right 2015 season by completing winning trilogy at Barber Motorsports Park 0
- As GP2 turns 10 years old, where is the Class of ’05 now? 0
- Here’s your IndyCar times for this weekend’s Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama 0
- F1: Year-on-year, Ferrari’s gains, Mercedes’ continued edge reins after four races 0
- Racing community reflects on the loss of Fox Sports’ broadcaster Steve Byrnes 8
- Sam Schmidt’s inspirational lap in SAM Project, Arrow Corvette on NBC Nightly News (VIDEO, PHOTOS) 2