Aug 5, 2014, 1:45 PM EST
Interesting story to pass on in the “business of racing” section this morning. Former Grand Prix of St. Petersburg president Tim Ramsberger is leaving the event to join Andretti Sports Marketing, per the Tampa Bay Times.
The St. Pete race – along with races in Toronto and Mid-Ohio – are run and operated by Green Savoree Racing Promotions, which sees former Andretti partners Kim Green and Kevin Savoree in charge on their own.
Andretti Sports Marketing, meanwhile, has quickly risen in the racing world. The organization promotes the Verizon IndyCar Series race at Milwaukee IndyFest, and also promotes races within Red Bull Global Rallycross (Volkswagen Rallycross DC) and FIA Formula E (planned Miami round).
Ramsberger told the Times he sees a better opportunity for himself within Andretti Sports Marketing, looking long-term.
“I think it’s a great opportunity and probably just a better opportunity for growth for me professionally long term,” he said.
Savoree told the Times not to worry and that plans are in place to keep the Green Savoree events running smoothly and with solid enough financial footing for the next several years.
The three Green Savoree events for IndyCar for 2014 are in the books – all of St. Pete, Toronto and Mid-Ohio had the unfortunate luck of rain falling on Saturday this year and races were either canceled (Pirelli World Challenge Round 1 at St. Pete) or postponed (IndyCar race 1 in Toronto). But race day crowds at each event looked healthy.
Meanwhile Andretti’s first IndyCar race of the year – Milwaukee – is next up on the schedule. It runs August 16-17 at the Milwaukee Mile.
- Agag: Formula E off to “incredible start” heading into U.S. swing 0
- Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix 2
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 1
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Sunday 1