Aug 5, 2014, 1:45 PM EST
Interesting story to pass on in the “business of racing” section this morning. Former Grand Prix of St. Petersburg president Tim Ramsberger is leaving the event to join Andretti Sports Marketing, per the Tampa Bay Times.
The St. Pete race – along with races in Toronto and Mid-Ohio – are run and operated by Green Savoree Racing Promotions, which sees former Andretti partners Kim Green and Kevin Savoree in charge on their own.
Andretti Sports Marketing, meanwhile, has quickly risen in the racing world. The organization promotes the Verizon IndyCar Series race at Milwaukee IndyFest, and also promotes races within Red Bull Global Rallycross (Volkswagen Rallycross DC) and FIA Formula E (planned Miami round).
Ramsberger told the Times he sees a better opportunity for himself within Andretti Sports Marketing, looking long-term.
“I think it’s a great opportunity and probably just a better opportunity for growth for me professionally long term,” he said.
Savoree told the Times not to worry and that plans are in place to keep the Green Savoree events running smoothly and with solid enough financial footing for the next several years.
The three Green Savoree events for IndyCar for 2014 are in the books – all of St. Pete, Toronto and Mid-Ohio had the unfortunate luck of rain falling on Saturday this year and races were either canceled (Pirelli World Challenge Round 1 at St. Pete) or postponed (IndyCar race 1 in Toronto). But race day crowds at each event looked healthy.
Meanwhile Andretti’s first IndyCar race of the year – Milwaukee – is next up on the schedule. It runs August 16-17 at the Milwaukee Mile.
Video from NASCAR America
- Bottas leads as McLaren-Honda delayed on first day of Abu Dhabi test 2
- Steve Letarte reflects on Hendrick Motorsports career in “exit interview” (VIDEO) 3
- Weekend wrap: Lewis Hamilton back on top of the F1 mountain 4
- Maurizio Arrivabene replaces Marco Mattiacci as Ferrari team principal 4
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Sunday 0
- Hamilton calls second title victory “the greatest day of my life” 3
- Hamilton clinches second F1 world title by winning Abu Dhabi GP 11