Aug 6, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
Watch sponsorships in racing are part of the fabric of the racing culture. TAG Heuer, the Swiss company, has been a racing staple for decades.
So it’s cool to see an iconic, legacy brand such as TAG Heuer officially strike a deal with INDYCAR and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, whereby TAG Heuer will become the official watch of the Verizon IndyCar Series and IMS. As this year, TAG Heuer will also sponsor the Carb Day Pit Stop Challenge at IMS.
“The Indianapolis Motor Speedway is proud of its long association with TAG Heuer and excited that the partnership has expanded to include the Verizon IndyCar Series,” Mark Miles, CEO of Hulman & Company, the parent of INDYCAR and IMS said in a release. “TAG Heuer is an iconic brand and a perfect representation of the speed, precision, technology and innovation that are the pillars of our sport.”
A special edition Indy 500 Chronograph will be created as well, to be awarded to the winner of each race.
What the release doesn’t indicate is whether drivers or teams with other personal watch contracts will need to switch.
The TUDOR United SportsCar Championship has, unsurprisingly, preferred TUDOR in the watch game, and what had been team sponsors like Chopard, Rebellion, BRM and TAG Heuer have fallen out of the paddock this year.
Interestingly, Dempsey Racing had a deal with TAG Heuer for its 24 Hours of Le Mans appearance, but it would not come over to the U.S. for its TUDOR Championship program.
So, watch what happens from here. And yes, I’ll see myself out after that bad pun.
- Dixon’s latest title a story of consistency, comeback, typical “Ice Man” cool 0
- Double points reverse Montoya’s IndyCar championship hopes (VIDEO) 8
- Scott Dixon captures Sonoma race win and 2015 IndyCar championship (VIDEO) 12
- Robin Miller pays tribute to Justin Wilson (VIDEO) 3
- WATCH LIVE: IndyCar’s championship decided in Sonoma at 1 p.m. PT, 4 ET on NBCSN 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Sonoma (4 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Porsche’s no. 17 car surges to maiden WEC victory in 6 Hours of Nürburgring 2