Aug 7, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
James Hinchcliffe will make a cameo appearance in the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship this weekend at Road America, co-driving with Scott Mayer in the No. 78 Honda-powered Riley Daytona Prototype from Starworks Motorsport.
Hinchcliffe has raced at Road America in Formula Atlantic and has made one TUDOR Championship start this year, as part of SpeedSource Mazda’s P2 lineup at the Rolex 24 at Daytona.
“I’m really excited to be at Road America this weekend with Starworks and HPD. I don’t have a ton of time in the DP cars, but I know Road America well and I’m sure, with a team like Starworks, they will get me up to speed quick,” he said in a team release. “Already having a relationship with HPD makes this an even cooler proposition and should help make the transition easier. More than anything I’m just happy to be in a car on an off weekend!”
Mayer and Brendon Hartley won the GRAND-AM race overall last year. The 3.5L twin-turbocharged Honda itself has gone through a reworking and the Riley chassis has had some aero upgrades.
This is an interesting development to note because the appointment of Hinchcliffe to the Honda-powered DP – when other IndyCar drivers could be available – could be a sign the Canadian is set to continue with the manufacturer in 2015.
While IndyCar is off this weekend, Hinchcliffe and Jack Hawksworth will be in the TUDOR Championship field. Hawksworth makes his second consecutive start aboard RSR Racing’s No. 08 Oreca FLM09, which he co-drove to the Prototype Challenge win with Chris Cumming last race at Indianapolis.
- NHRA: Big changes coming to Pro Stock this weekend, next season 0
- Report: Alex Zanardi keen to make Indianapolis 500 debut 4
- Ten with Townsend: Milwaukee and Iowa debrief 0
- For Dixon, it’s likely Mid-Ohio or bust in terms of 2015 IndyCar title hopes 0
- Race Recap: Vettel draws level with Senna on all-time win list with victory in Hungary 3
- NHRA Mile-High Nationals winners: Torrence, Beckman, Morgan, Krawiec 2
- F1 grid unites to pay tribute to Jules Bianchi (VIDEO) 1