Aug 8, 2014, 7:30 AM EDT
As speculation about his future with Ferrari continues to circulate, Fernando Alonso has sent out a cryptic tweet to deny some of the stories.
The two-time world champion joined Ferrari back in 2010, creating a partnership that was intended to take both the driver and the team back to the very top of Formula 1.
We’re now five seasons down the line, and neither has another world title to its name. Alonso has managed to get himself in the running for the championship on two occasions, only to lose out to Sebastian Vettel at the final race (2010, 2012), but the sub-standard Ferrari cars have given him little hope of beating the German driver and – now in 2014 – Mercedes.
For some time now, stories have been linking Alonso with a move back to McLaren, who is set to join forces with Honda once again in 2015. However, a report in Bild earlier this week said that the Spaniard would be willing to stay at Ferrari if his salary was doubled to nearly $50m per year, making him the highest-paid driver in the history of the sport.
Alonso took to Twitter yesterday to add his pennyworth to the stories.
A thing that’s not true, even if is copied a thousand times, will remain false. ;)) Always helpful to remember this…
— Fernando Alonso (@alo_oficial) August 7, 2014
For some time now, the Spaniard has denied all reports linking him with a move away from the team. In Germany, he denied having contact with any other team before laughing at the fact that his future has been speculated ever since his Renault days back in 2003.
“It’s the same question every year in July,” he said. “From 2003 I start, so eleven years. I didn’t talk with any team, and it’s not my priority.”
With silly season quickly gathering steam though, it will have to become his priority sooner or later.
- Here are your British Grand Prix air times on CNBC, NBCSN, Live Extra 0
- Miles: After “two-sided pancake” Fontana race, IndyCar may crack down against stakeholder comments 1
- IndyCar issues penalties and fines following MAVTV 500 at Fontana 1
- NHRA shakeup: Tom Compton retires as president, Peter Clifford named successor 3
- Ed Carpenter: driver criticism of IndyCar ‘confusing for fans’ 12
- Hawksworth: “I wouldn’t say it was crazy; it was exciting” 2
- Graham Rahal’s Fontana win was long overdue, and a long time coming 0