Aug 8, 2014, 2:27 PM EST
Kevin Harvick, a former winner at Watkins Glen International in his days with Richard Childress Racing, was fastest in today’s first of two practice sessions for the Sprint Cup Series on the New York State road course.
Harvick posted a lap of 68.652 seconds around the 2.4-mile circuit, which works out to an average speed of 128.474 mph inside the No. 4 Stewart-Haas Racing Chevrolet.
Following him was fellow Hendrick-powered driver Jimmie Johnson of Hendrick Motorsports, who was second-fastest with a time of 68.992 seconds (127.841 mph).
Multiple incidents took place during the first Cup practice, with most of them coming at or near the track’s right-hand Carousel turn.
Additionally, Alex Kennedy lost control of his car in the uphill esses but avoided contact with the blue barriers. Tony Stewart also spent some time in the garage getting a transmission change on his car.
A second Cup practice is scheduled for 4:30 p.m. ET.
- Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix 2
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 1
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Sunday 1
- F1 pre-season testing ends with Bottas fastest for Williams 1