Aug 9, 2014, 9:15 AM EST
The German bank at the centre of Bernie Ecclestone’s bribery trial has rejected a settlement offered by the 83-year-old following the end of court proceedings earlier this week, according to reports.
Ecclestone was accused of bribing banker Gerhard Gribkowsky to influence the sale of Formula 1 back in 2005, but the case came to a close after he made a $100m payment to the court as permitted by German law.
The case ended with no conviction, meaning that Ecclestone remains in charge at the top of the sport. He immediately returned to work on the same day that the case ended.
However, a settlement offer of $33m made to BayernLB by Ecclestone was rejected on Friday, as confirmed to Reuters by a spokesperson for the bank.
Neither party has made further comment on the matter, but it could lead to BayernLB taking more civil proceedings against the Briton. The more likely resolution would be for an increased offer to be made and accepted, given that the bribery trial proceedings have now come to a close.
Ecclestone has said that he feels like “a bit of an idiot” for settling the matter with the German court earlier this week.
“They really didn’t have a case,” he told the BBC. “The judge more or less said I was acquitted, so I was a bit of an idiot to do what I did to settle because it wasn’t with the judge, it was with the prosecutors.
“Anyway, it’s done and finished, so it’s all right. I’m content – it’s all fine. This now allows me to do what I do best, which is running F1.”
Video from NASCAR America
- Carl Edwards: “I plan on winning 10 races and the championship” 2
- NASCAR: Dale Jr. expects even more performance in 2015 1
- UPDATED — Highway to Hell(cat): Owner wrecks 707-hp Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat one hour after buying it 53
- John Force like you’ve never seen him: ‘Papa John’ the grandfather (video) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 3
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 4
- Vergne joins Ferrari as a test driver 1