Aug 10, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT
The NASCAR Sprint Cup Series is currently preparing for this afternoon’s Cheez-It 355 at Watkins Glen International, but for many in the sport, their thoughts right now are with the family of Kevin Ward Jr.
The 20-year-old sprint car driver was killed last night in a sprint car incident that involved three-time Cup champion Tony Stewart.
Earlier this morning, Stewart Haas Racing competition director Greg Zipadelli announced that Stewart would not compete in today’s race and that Nationwide driver Regan Smith would take his place in the No. 14 SHR Chevrolet.
DALE EARNHARDT JR.
MICHAEL WALTRIP (Sprint Cup team owner and part-time driver)
ELLIOTT SADLER (Nationwide Series driver)
ERIC McCLURE (Nationwide Series driver)
BEN KENNEDY (Camping World Truck Series driver)
DANIEL SUAREZ (K&N Pro Series East/Toyota Mexico Series)
Meanwhile at the Glen, the No. 14 team is carrying on with their duties leading up to today’s green flag. About a half an hour ago, Jeff Gluck of USA Today shot this Vine of the scene in the SHR garage as they prepared for Smith’s arrival.
ESPN has since shown video of Smith and team owner Rick Hendrick arriving at the track via helicopter shortly before Noon ET in its pre-race telecast.
Video from NASCAR America
- Brad Keselowski wins pole for Sunday’s Chase race at New Hampshire 0
- F1 Friday Analysis: Is Lewis the man to beat? 0
- Hamilton tops FP2 as night falls in Singapore 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: Singapore Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- Alonso fastest in first practice for Singapore GP 0
- Michael Waltrip challenges Dale Jr. to go Dancing With The Stars 1
- Report: Why Mark Martin couldn’t be Danica Patrick’s driving coach 6