Aug 10, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Marussia sporting director Graeme Lowdon has said that the team will wait until the end of the Formula 1 season before making a decision about its driver line-up for 2015.
The team has enjoyed its best-ever season in 2014, scoring its first points in F1 at the Monaco Grand Prix thanks to Jules Bianchi’s ninth-place finish. It has also pulled clear of nearest-rival Caterham in the battle of the backmarkers, and is even ahead of Sauber in the constructors’ championship.
Both Bianchi and teammate Max Chilton have put in some good performances this season, but Lowdon told crash.net that no decision about the driver line-up for 2015 would be taken until the off-season.
“As ever, there’s 101 different influences on teams and driver preferences and the same with the drivers as well,” Lowdon said.
“So in terms of the line-up for next year we typically leave that until December time and see where we get to and focus entirely on trying to keep our place in the championship for the rest of this season.”
Chilton’s place at Marussia appears to be secure so long as the necessary funding is in place, but Bianchi’s future is a little harder to predict. As a Ferrari Driver Academy member, he is a highly talented and valuable asset to Marussia, although the Italian marque may have loftier hopes for the Frenchman.
As I looked at earlier this month, Bianchi’s journey to Maranello is going very well, and could even see him get a surprise promotion to a full-time seat if both Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen were to leave for 2015.
It seems that the most likely outcome is that both Chilton and Bianchi get a third season with Marussia in 2015, but we’ll have to wait until the end of the year to find out.
Video from NASCAR America
- Tony Stewart sets fastest qualifying speed ever on 1.5-mile track (200.111 mph), but Matt Kenseth wins pole at Texas 0
- United States GP Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Hamilton inches away from Rosberg to top FP2 at COTA 0
- Sebastian Vettel to start United States GP from pit lane 0
- Hamilton quickest in first practice for United States GP 1
- 2014 United States Grand Prix Preview 0
- Road To: Mercedes teaser – The very first Mercedes-Benz car (VIDEO) 0