Aug 11, 2014, 2:15 PM EST
Roughly one month ahead of its inaugural race in Beijing, the all-electric FIA Formula E series has announced that it’s completed two full-event simulations at the UK’s Donington Park track.
According to the series, a temporary pitlane and pit boxes were assembled. For the second simulation, each of the 10 F-E teams (including American-based teams Andretti Autosport and Dragon Racing) ran all of their cars through two “non-qualifying” sessions, qualifying, and an endurance test.
Those were all run to the single-day race schedule that will be in place during the 2014-2015 season, which goes as follows:
- Two morning, non-qualifying sessions of 45 minutes and then 30 minutes in length
- A qualifying session split into four groups of five cars, with the order randomly selected beforehand
- A race of approximately 60 minutes in length with the exact race distance determined on that day.
As part of the simulation, teams and drivers got to simulate a full standing start and pit stops, which will be quite different from the norm. In F-E, one mandatory stop must be made during the race by drivers in order for them to change to their second car.
Additionally, off-track matters such as credential procedures, operational/IT infrastructures, and television broadcasting were all tested as well.
“Putting on a major sporting event in the heart of cities around the world is a massive undertaking and requires careful preparation,” F-E CEO Alejandro Agag said in a statement.
“We want the Formula E Beijing ePrix to a fantastic spectacle, which is why we’re leaving nothing to chance by rigorously testing all the systems beforehand. Overall, we’re very pleased with how things went.”
F-E’s fifth and final preseason test session will take place next Tuesday, Aug. 19, at Donington Park. The first race of the year, the Beijing ePrix, will take place on Saturday, Sept. 13.
- Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix 1
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 1
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Sunday 1
- F1 pre-season testing ends with Bottas fastest for Williams 1