Aug 11, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
Last week at Mid-Ohio, Josef Newgarden was on pace to secure what would have been a popular first career win in the Verizon IndyCar Series, but it went to hell in a hand basket after a botched final pit stop. Newgarden was gracious, professional and mature beyond his years post-race, despite the disappointment.
But Sunday at Barber Motorsports Park, where earlier this year he and Joe Namath were involved in a pre-race cook off and Newgarden started in the top five and finished eighth, Newgarden bagged his first win of the season – albeit in the SCCA Summer Speedfest Formula F 45th Anniversary feature race, driving an HPD/Honda Performance Development Piper DF-5/Honda.
Oh, and for good measure, he started last after arriving late Saturday due to his IndyCar testing commitments.
Newgarden made it from 11th to the lead within nine laps, regained the lead on Lap 11 and held it for the final 10 circuits.
“This is the most fun I’ve had this racing season,” Newgarden said, via the official SCCA website. “You just can’t race any better than this. You can drive the car sideways. You can go three-wide into the brake zones. You can race the guys for two- to three-corners at a time. It’s just the most fun you can have in an open-wheel car.”
It caps off a week where Newgarden nearly won in Mid-Ohio, banged some drums and attempted to one-bite a grilled cheese sandwich at the Indiana State Fair, tested his No. 67 Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing Honda at Sonoma, and then flew back to Birmingham, Ala. after being in three other states.
Now he’ll head to Milwaukee this weekend for the ABC Supply Co. Wisconsin 250 at Milwaukee IndyFest Presented by the Metro Milwaukee Honda Dealers and see if he can keep the momentum going.
Milwaukee kicks off a stretch of three races in as many weekends, with Sonoma and Fontana to follow.
Video from NASCAR America
- Caterham denies future is at risk despite goods being seized 1
- Simona de Silvestro’s F1 hopes at risk due to financial problems 6
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 1
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 23
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3