Aug 11, 2014, 2:48 PM EDT
Tony Stewart‘s NASCAR driving status is still be determined for this weekend’s upcoming NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Pure Michigan 400, and all his external racing activity is now on an indefinite hiatus, per a report from NBCSN’s Nate Ryan for USA Today.
In an email, Stewart-Haas Racing communications director Mike Arning wrote to Ryan:
“The decision to compete in this weekend’s NASCAR Sprint Cup Series event at Michigan will be Tony’s, and he will have as much time as he needs to make that decision. It is still an emotional time for all involved, Tony included. He is grieving, and grief doesn’t have a timetable.”
He also confirmed the lack of other racing outside NASCAR commitments within the same email.
As of 2:30 p.m. ET Monday, SHR had not released an official statement on its website or social media pages to confirm whether or not Stewart would be in the field. Until further notice, he will be listed on the race entry list in the team’s No. 14 Chevrolet.
As it pertains to his potential status in the Chase for the Sprint Cup, Stewart would need to attempt to qualify for the race to ensure he’s been active at each race weekend. A driver has to attempt to qualify for each of the 26 regular season races and be inside the top 30 in points – plus in Stewart’s case, he’d need a win – in order to be Chase-eligible.
Although he did not race at Watkins Glen this weekend – Regan Smith filled in – Stewart did qualify the car and thus remains Chase-eligible at the moment.
- NHRA: ‘Fast Jack’ Beckman earns 5th Funny Car win of 2015; Brown (TF), McGaha (PS), Krawiec (PSM) also win 0
- After dream-fulfilling day, Graham Rahal isn’t worried anymore 0
- Graham Rahal now trails Montoya by nine points in IndyCar standings 1
- Karam’s Mid-Ohio spin triggers frustration, skepticism from IndyCar paddock 1
- Rahal scores dream win on home soil in Honda 200 at Mid-Ohio 2
- Helio Castroneves leads halfway through the Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Mid-Ohio (1:30 p.m. ET, CNBC and Live Extra) 0