Aug 11, 2014, 2:48 PM EDT
Tony Stewart‘s NASCAR driving status is still be determined for this weekend’s upcoming NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Pure Michigan 400, and all his external racing activity is now on an indefinite hiatus, per a report from NBCSN’s Nate Ryan for USA Today.
In an email, Stewart-Haas Racing communications director Mike Arning wrote to Ryan:
“The decision to compete in this weekend’s NASCAR Sprint Cup Series event at Michigan will be Tony’s, and he will have as much time as he needs to make that decision. It is still an emotional time for all involved, Tony included. He is grieving, and grief doesn’t have a timetable.”
He also confirmed the lack of other racing outside NASCAR commitments within the same email.
As of 2:30 p.m. ET Monday, SHR had not released an official statement on its website or social media pages to confirm whether or not Stewart would be in the field. Until further notice, he will be listed on the race entry list in the team’s No. 14 Chevrolet.
As it pertains to his potential status in the Chase for the Sprint Cup, Stewart would need to attempt to qualify for the race to ensure he’s been active at each race weekend. A driver has to attempt to qualify for each of the 26 regular season races and be inside the top 30 in points – plus in Stewart’s case, he’d need a win – in order to be Chase-eligible.
Although he did not race at Watkins Glen this weekend – Regan Smith filled in – Stewart did qualify the car and thus remains Chase-eligible at the moment.
Video from NASCAR America
- Jimmie Johnson: ‘That day is out there’ when he’ll split with crew chief Chad Knaus 1
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 3
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 1
- Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday 5