Aug 11, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
Saturday’s Tony Stewart/Kevin Ward Jr. tragedy and Sunday’s Cheez-It 355 at Watkins Glen International will be the focus of today’s episode of NASCAR AMERICA.
The special, one-hour episode will air today at 5 p.m. ET on NBCSN. In case you can’t be near a TV, CLICK HERE to stream it online or on your mobile device with NBC Sports Live Extra.
Here’s what to expect:
- NBC News’ Kristen Dahlgren reports from Canandaigua Motorsports Park, site of Saturday night’s fatal incident, on how the local and racing communities are reacting to the tragedy. Today, the track announced that it was canceling its races that were set for Wednesday.
- USA Today writer and NASCAR on NBC contributing reporter Nate Ryan will talk about how the accident will impact safety rules across multiple forms of racing and how NASCAR usually handles rule changes that stem from on-track accidents.
- Jeff Burton and Kyle Petty will join from Burton’s Garage in Concord, NC, to give their takes on the accident and what fans and NASCAR officials need to keep in mind when making decisions about driver safety and rule changes.
- NBC Sports legal analyst Jack Furlong will go over what potential charges, if any, Stewart may face from Saturday’s events. As of now, no criminal charges have been filed as part of the ongoing investigation.
- On a somber Sunday, AJ Allmendinger – who had been suspended from NASCAR less than two years ago – won his inaugural Sprint Cup race at Watkins Glen. You’ll hear his thoughts about what this win means to him and for his single-car JTG Daugherty Racing team, which can now plan to compete in the Chase for the Sprint Cup.
- Sunday’s race also featured a vicious crash involving Ryan Newman, Michael McDowell, and others. The NA crew will discuss if any further changes to the Glen are necessary going forward.
If you plan to stream, be sure to have your username and password from your cable/satellite/telco provider handy so your subscription can be verified. Once you plug those pieces of information in, you’ll have access to the stream.
Again, CLICK HERE at 5 p.m. ET to watch NBCSN’s NASCAR AMERICA.
Video from NASCAR America
- Bubba Wallace pays homage to NASCAR Hall of Famer Wendell Scott with encore win at Martinsville 0
- Marussia also set to miss United States GP 3
- Jimmie Johnson: ‘That day is out there’ when he’ll split with crew chief Chad Knaus 7
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 3
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1