Aug 12, 2014, 11:42 AM EST
News from the European ladder series, as Formula 3 rising star Max Verstappen has struck a deal with Red Bull for his future.
Here’s the brand’s official release:
We are very pleased to announce that Max Verstappen has accepted our invitation to join the Red Bull Junior Team. This is effective immediately and the 16-year-old Dutchman will continue his FIA Formula 3 European Championship campaign at the Nürburgring this weekend as a Red Bull Junior in the Van Amersfoort Racing team and additionally will compete at the Macau Grand Prix in November.
Max, 17 on September 30, is the son of ex-F1 shoe Jos Verstappen, who raced from 1994 through 2003 with a variety of different teams.
The younger Verstappen has seven wins in 21 races in the FIA European Formula 3 championship this season, and currently sits second in the points with 12 races to go.
The Red Bull signing could well put him on a fast track to F1, through the GP3, then either GP2 or World Series by Renault ranks.
We already have a junior Magnussen in F1 in McLaren’s Kevin Magnussen, Jan’s son, and we could well have a junior Verstappen in the not too distant future.
- Jimmie Johnson likes new Chase format, but misses the one that brought him six championships 0
- Toro Rosso reveals STR10 ahead of Jerez test 1
- Long: Journey for Wendell Scott’s family ends with a kiss (VIDEO) 0
- Elliott, Lorenzen, White, Scott, and Weatherly enter NASCAR Hall of Fame (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0
- Gridiron Challenge: NASCAR drivers take football stars for a spin (VIDEO) 1
- Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony headlines 6.5 hours of NASCAR on NBCSN 0