Aug 12, 2014, 11:42 AM EDT
News from the European ladder series, as Formula 3 rising star Max Verstappen has struck a deal with Red Bull for his future.
Here’s the brand’s official release:
We are very pleased to announce that Max Verstappen has accepted our invitation to join the Red Bull Junior Team. This is effective immediately and the 16-year-old Dutchman will continue his FIA Formula 3 European Championship campaign at the Nürburgring this weekend as a Red Bull Junior in the Van Amersfoort Racing team and additionally will compete at the Macau Grand Prix in November.
Max, 17 on September 30, is the son of ex-F1 shoe Jos Verstappen, who raced from 1994 through 2003 with a variety of different teams.
The younger Verstappen has seven wins in 21 races in the FIA European Formula 3 championship this season, and currently sits second in the points with 12 races to go.
The Red Bull signing could well put him on a fast track to F1, through the GP3, then either GP2 or World Series by Renault ranks.
We already have a junior Magnussen in F1 in McLaren’s Kevin Magnussen, Jan’s son, and we could well have a junior Verstappen in the not too distant future.
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 7 p.m. ET recaps Talladega 0
- Remembering racing legend Raymond Beadle: ‘Once upon a time, I was the best at what I did’ 2
- Weekend wrap: Brad Keselowski rises up to Talladega challenge 0
- The irony of a winless driver winning a title in the new Chase still exists 3
- Roger Penske defends Keselowski, says other drivers “jealous” of his success 4
- What will NASCAR fans do now that their favorite drivers are eliminated from Chase? 9
- Brad Keselowski wins at Talladega on 2nd G-W-C attempt, advances in Chase 10