Aug 12, 2014, 11:42 AM EDT
News from the European ladder series, as Formula 3 rising star Max Verstappen has struck a deal with Red Bull for his future.
Here’s the brand’s official release:
We are very pleased to announce that Max Verstappen has accepted our invitation to join the Red Bull Junior Team. This is effective immediately and the 16-year-old Dutchman will continue his FIA Formula 3 European Championship campaign at the Nürburgring this weekend as a Red Bull Junior in the Van Amersfoort Racing team and additionally will compete at the Macau Grand Prix in November.
Max, 17 on September 30, is the son of ex-F1 shoe Jos Verstappen, who raced from 1994 through 2003 with a variety of different teams.
The younger Verstappen has seven wins in 21 races in the FIA European Formula 3 championship this season, and currently sits second in the points with 12 races to go.
The Red Bull signing could well put him on a fast track to F1, through the GP3, then either GP2 or World Series by Renault ranks.
We already have a junior Magnussen in F1 in McLaren’s Kevin Magnussen, Jan’s son, and we could well have a junior Verstappen in the not too distant future.
- IndyCar: Graham Rahal is halfway leader at Barber 0
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick victorious on debut ADAC F4 weekend 1
- IndyCar beats the rain, Castroneves, Penske beats the field in Barber qualifying (VIDEO) 3
- WSR: Rowland wins Formula Renault 3.5 season-opener at Motorland Aragon 0
- Preview: Barber marks end of IndyCar’s first quarter of 2015 (VIDEO) 0