Aug 13, 2014, 10:11 AM EDT
Several penalties have been handed out in the last 24 hours in NASCAR, including one to Kevin Harvick‘s No. 4 Stewart-Haas Racing team.
As a result of unapproved added weight at Watkins Glen, Harvick’s crew chief Rodney Childers has been issued a $25,000 fine in a P3 level penalty.
This was potentially coming given the “bean bag weights” were left in the car, and affected Harvick’s day.
Here is the full release from NASCAR, issued Wednesday morning:
The No. 4 team that competes in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series has been penalized due to a rules infraction committed during the Aug. 10 race at Watkins Glen International.
The infraction is a P3 level penalty and is outlined in Section 12-4.3 of the 2014 rule book:
- A.Violation examples could include but are not limited to:
o 1(c): Unapproved added weight and/or weight affixed improperly (e.g. Unapproved added weight (size and material); unapproved added weight location, but not of a nature rising to a higher numbered penalty.
The infraction violates the following sections in the rule book:
- 12-1: Actions detrimental to stock car racing;
- 20-2.3:Added car weight
o A. Any weight added to the car must be bolted inside the body shell in an approved weight container and in a position acceptable to NASCAR officials
o Added weight must be in block form of not less than five pound blocks (no pellets) and painted white with the car number or team identification permanently legible on it.
As a result of this violation, crew chief Rodney Childers has been fined $25,000.
Additionally, a warning was issued to the No. 98 Phil Parsons Racing team for improper adding or removing fuel; per NASCAR, it needs to be done outside the garage structure.
Meanwhile earlier this morning, NASCAR Camping World Truck Series crew member Troy Cupples was suspended indefinitely for violating the sanctioning body’s Substance Abuse Policy.
- WATCH LIVE: Bahrain GP Race Day on NBCSN and Live Extra from 10:30am ET 0
- Off The Grid: Melbourne premieres 1:30pm ET on NBCSN (VIDEO) 0
- Castroneves secures pole in IndyCar qualifying at Long Beach 1
- Hamilton eases to fourth straight pole position in Bahrain 0
- Hamilton closes out Bahrain GP practice on top 0
- INDYCAR confirms more aero kit updates coming to Long Beach 1
- Rocky Moran Jr. to replace Huertas in Coyne’s No. 18 for Long Beach 7