Aug 13, 2014, 9:19 PM EDT
One of the brightest young stars in NASCAR is expected to be announced Thursday as the new driver for the legendary Wood Brothers Racing Sprint Cup team in 2015.
Ryan Blaney, son of veteran Sprint Cup and sprint car Hall of Famer Dave Blaney, is expected to be introduced as the replacement to Trevor Bayne in the No. 21 Ford Fusion. Bayne is moving to a full-time ride in Sprint Cup next season with Roush Fenway Racing.
The announcement is slated to take place in a 2 pm ET press conference Thursday at Michigan International Speedway, according to Ford Racing.
Team co-owners Eddie and Len Wood and other team officials are expected to be on hand, as well as Blaney.
Reports have circulated that the 20-year-old Blaney will run a limited Sprint Cup schedule for the Wood Brothers next season while also running a likely full-time slate on the Nationwide Series circuit for Penske Racing.
Blaney is currently atop the Camping World Truck Series standings. In 21 starts, he has three wins, eight top-5 and 15 top-10 finishes.
“We’re focused on winning the truck championship this year,” Blaney said. “Keep growing this (program). Those days will sort themselves out down the road.”
Team Penske spokesman Jonathan Gibson told NASCAR.com, “Ryan Blaney continues to do a great job with our organization and we have a plan for his progression within Team Penske.”
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- NHRA: All you need to know about the 61st U.S. Nationals 0
- NHRA: Year’s biggest race, the U.S. Nationals, ready to roll 0
- F1 2015’s silly season is proving to be a let down, but who could yet spice it up? 3
- 2015 Italian Grand Prix Preview 0
- James Hinchcliffe on the comeback trail for IndyCar driving return 1
- Bottas and Massa to remain with Williams for 2016 1
- Here are your TV times for this weekend’s Italian Grand Prix on NBCSN, Live Extra 0