Aug 13, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
NASCAR Sprint Cup driver Martin Truex Jr. will miss Friday’s practice and qualifying sessions at Michigan International Speedway to be with long-time girlfriend Sherry Pollex.
Pollex, who was recently diagnosed with ovarian cancer, will undergo surgery and begin treatment with Truex by her side.
“Everyone at Furniture Row Racing extends their thoughts and prayers to Sherry during her treatment and recovery period,” team general manager Joe Garone said in a media release. “She is a devoted supporter of our race team and we can’t wait for her return to the track.”
Reigning Camping World Truck Series champion Matt Crafton will take Truex’s place in the practice and qualifying sessions on Friday. Truex is expected to rejoin the team Saturday, in time to compete in Sunday’s Sprint Cup race at the two-mile oval track.
“Sherry and Martin would like to thank the NASCAR community for all the well wishes,” the media release stated. “They have requested that everyone respect the family’s privacy as Sherry begins her treatment and recovery.
“Sherry’s passion in life is fighting pediatric cancer. To learn more about Sherry’s work with children, go to www.martintruexjrfoundation.org.”
Truex is in his first season with Furniture Row Racing after several seasons with Michael Waltrip Racing.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- Here are your NBCSN TV times, weekend coverage plan for IndyCar’s Sonoma season finale 0
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 4
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 4
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 6
- NHRA: Pro Stock driver Erica Enders hitting on all cylinders heading into U.S. Nationals 3
- IndyCar flashback: Justin Wilson finishes second, Will Power/Scott Dixon controversy at Sonoma 2013 (video) 3