Aug 13, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
NASCAR Sprint Cup driver Martin Truex Jr. will miss Friday’s practice and qualifying sessions at Michigan International Speedway to be with long-time girlfriend Sherry Pollex.
Pollex, who was recently diagnosed with ovarian cancer, will undergo surgery and begin treatment with Truex by her side.
“Everyone at Furniture Row Racing extends their thoughts and prayers to Sherry during her treatment and recovery period,” team general manager Joe Garone said in a media release. “She is a devoted supporter of our race team and we can’t wait for her return to the track.”
Reigning Camping World Truck Series champion Matt Crafton will take Truex’s place in the practice and qualifying sessions on Friday. Truex is expected to rejoin the team Saturday, in time to compete in Sunday’s Sprint Cup race at the two-mile oval track.
“Sherry and Martin would like to thank the NASCAR community for all the well wishes,” the media release stated. “They have requested that everyone respect the family’s privacy as Sherry begins her treatment and recovery.
“Sherry’s passion in life is fighting pediatric cancer. To learn more about Sherry’s work with children, go to www.martintruexjrfoundation.org.”
Truex is in his first season with Furniture Row Racing after several seasons with Michael Waltrip Racing.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 15
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 6
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 52