Aug 14, 2014, 1:35 PM EDT
As anticipated, the Wood Brothers have confirmed Ryan Blaney will race for the team in a part-time NASCAR Sprint Cup Series schedule in 2015, and the team has formed a technical alliance with Team Penske.
Blaney, the Penske development driver, will run at least 12 Cup races in 2015 in the No. 21 Motorcraft/Quick Lane Ford Fusion.
“Wood Brothers Racing is excited to align with Roger Penske and his team and we couldn’t be more pleased to put Ryan Blaney in the No. 21 Ford Fusion,” said Eddie and Len Wood, co-owners of Wood Brothers Racing, in a joint statement. “Ryan is a third-generation racer and one of the best young drivers out there. He has been a winner in many different kinds of cars since he started racing at a very young age and we fully expect that to continue while he is with us.”
Blaney will practice and qualify Trevor Bayne‘s current No. 21 Cup car at Michigan this weekend while Bayne is on Nationwide Series duty in Mid-Ohio. Bayne will be back in Michigan on Sunday.
Also via the team release, Blaney said: “I want to thank Wood Brothers Racing, Team Penske, Ford Racing and everyone at Motorcraft and Quick Lane for the opportunity to race next season in the Sprint Cup Series. To get a chance to race at the top level of NASCAR in such a historic car as the No. 21 Motorcraft/Quick Lane Ford Fusion is a dream come true. I’m really looking forward to 2015.”
Blaney will debut for the team at the 2015 Daytona 500 and is also scheduled to race at Las Vegas, Texas, Talladega, Charlotte, Michigan and Indianapolis, among other tracks.
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach and Barber debrief 0
- NHRA: Capps storms to 2nd win of season, Funny Car points lead 1
- Relief, gratitude define the day where Newgarden finally gets first win (VIDEO) 1
- Graham Rahal can’t close deal in runner-up finish at Barber 2
- Josef Newgarden scores his first IndyCar win at Barber 12
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0