Aug 15, 2014, 2:00 PM EST
Former Ferrari engine chief Luca Marmorini has said that he simply did as he was told when designing the engine for the 2014 F14 T car, and does not feel that blaming the team’s poor performance on his department was fair.
Speaking to Italian journalist Leo Turrini for the first time since his departure from Maranello, Marmorini said that he had been asked by the management to make a smaller engine that would be made up for with superior aerodynamics.
However, this did not prove to be the case, with the team scoring just two podium finishes so far this season whilst the Renault and Mercedes power units have gone on to win races.
“In short, it was made out that all the woes of the F14T are the fault of the power unit; as if a company with the history of Ferrari had forgotten how to make engines,” Marmorini said. “With my colleagues I packaged a power unit with a certain size, a smaller version of the Mercedes and Renault, because we were asked by the project manager of the car, Mr. Tombazis.”
“[Tombazis] said we want a very compact power unit with small radiators, because the power loss will be compensated with aerodynamic solutions that will guarantee us an advantage over the Mercedes and Renault cars.
“It’s been exactly like that, except that, when we were confronted with the competition, the horsepower was obviously less, but this was not compensated for by aerodynamics.”
Marmorini also revealed that he had spoken just twice to new team principal Marco Mattiacci: once when he arrived, and once when he left.
“In three months, I exchanged just a few words,” he said. “We saw each other twice, the first for the greetings, the second when he gave me a letter that confirmed my farewell to the company.”
Marmorini confirmed that he is not looking to return to Formula 1 at any time soon, but that his stance could yet change.
In the ‘year of the power unit’, Ferrari has clearly been a step behind. The team will be hoping to finish the season inside the top three in the constructors’ championship before focusing on getting back to the very front of the field in 2015.
- Manor passes final crash tests ahead of Australian GP 0
- WATCH: Mercedes F1: Road to Repeat at 8 p.m. ET highlights F1 block on NBCSN 0
- Manor Marussia F1 confirms trip to Melbourne 3
- Agag: Formula E off to “incredible start” heading into U.S. swing 2
- Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix 3
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 1