Aug 15, 2014, 12:45 PM EST
NASCAR Sprint Cup veteran and NBC Sports analyst Jeff Burton said earlier this morning to reporters at Michigan International Speedway that he hoped to provide Stewart Haas Racing some stability in a challenging situation.
Burton is driving Tony Stewart‘s No. 14 Chevrolet in this weekend’s Sprint Cup event at Michigan International Speedway.
Yesterday, SHR announced that Stewart would not compete in the Pure Michigan 400, making this the second Cup race he’s missed since his involvement in a fatal sprint car incident last Saturday night in New York State; one day after the incident, Stewart did not race at Watkins Glen and was replaced in the No. 14 by Regan Smith.
Burton also spoke with The Dan Patrick Show this morning to discuss his current role with SHR, what would be the first question he’d ask Stewart if he had the chance to speak with him, and if he believes Stewart will give up his beloved dirt-track racing after last week’s tragedy.
You can check out Burton’s thoughts in the clip above.
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH LIVE: Abu Dhabi GP Qualifying on NBCSN from 8a ET 0
- Rosberg closes out Abu Dhabi practice fastest 0
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Jimmie Johnson: Kevin Harvick winning Sprint Cup title was “the right thing” 18
- 2014 F1 championship showdown preview: Nico Rosberg 0
- 2014 F1 championship showdown preview: Lewis Hamilton 0
- Hamilton quickest in second practice for Abu Dhabi GP 0