Aug 15, 2014, 12:27 PM EDT
The long-awaited confirmation of Carl Edwards‘ move to Joe Gibbs Racing is expected to occur next Tuesday, August 19.
A press conference has been scheduled at JGR’s headquarters in Huntersville, N.C. that, according to a team media release, “this unprecedented announcement will have impact across four NASCAR racing series.”
If Edwards is indeed announced as the newest member of the JGR Sprint Cup team, he would join former Roush Fenway teammate Matt Kenseth, along with Denny Hamlin and Kyle Busch to make up a monster talent lineup.
It would also mark the finalization of several years of planning and hoping by JGR to become a four-car team.
It’s unclear who will be Edwards’ primary sponsors in 2015.
Also expected to be announced at the same press conference, according to Motorsport.com, is the naming of Daniel Suarez to drive for JGR in the successor to the Nationwide Series next season.
(Nationwide Insurance is leaving as series sponsor after this season; a new series sponsor has yet to be named.)
Suarez, 22, is a graduate of NASCAR’s Drive for Diversity program. A native of Monterrey, Mexico, Suarez is the current leader of the NASCAR Toyota Series in his native country. He’s earned four wins in nine starts this season.
Last season, Suarez won three of 15 races and finished second in the Toyota Series, preceded by finishing third in 2012, winning two of 14 races.
He’s also competed in 12 of 13 races this season on the NASCAR K&N Pro Series East, with two wins and is currently ranked 13th (he finished third in the K&N Series last season).
Suarez made his first NNS start earlier this year at Richmond, qualifying 12th and finishing 19th.
Given JGR’s announcement that Tuesday’s press conference will impact four NASCAR racing series, Edwards will obviously cover the Sprint Car aspect of it, while Suarez will impact the Mexico Toyota, K&N East and NNS.
Follow me @JerryBonkowski
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick victorious on debut ADAC F4 weekend 1
- IndyCar beats the rain, Castroneves, Penske beats the field in Barber qualifying (VIDEO) 3
- WSR: Rowland wins Formula Renault 3.5 season-opener at Motorland Aragon 0
- Preview: Barber marks end of IndyCar’s first quarter of 2015 (VIDEO) 0
- Ryan Hunter-Reay looks to right 2015 season by completing winning trilogy at Barber Motorsports Park 0