Aug 16, 2014, 7:00 AM EDT
Paul di Resta has said that he will do whatever it takes to return to Formula 1 after being left without a seat for the 2014 season.
The Scotsman made his debut back in 2011 for Force India, and went on to spend all three seasons of his F1 career with Vijay Mallya’s team. However, he was dropped at the end of last year to make way for Sergio Perez and Nico Hulkenberg.
This move appears to have been the right one for Force India, which has made its best ever start to a Formula 1 season in 2014. di Resta, on the other hand, was forced to move back to the DTM German touring car series from which he entered F1 in the first place. However, he is determined to make a comeback in the future.
“[F1 is] the best racing there is and you are up there with la crème de la crème, so obviously it was disappointing not to get the chance to be involved this season,” di Resta told the Scottish Herald newspaper. “But you have to put up with setbacks and it’s how you react to these things which matter.
“I am confident people have seen that I have the qualities to succeed in F1 but, of course, things keep changing in the sport.
“Whether it’s the rules or the driver line-ups and, unfortunately, the situation arose where there wasn’t a place for me.
“I am still young enough to believe I can gain another opportunity and I am pushing as hard as I can to make it happen. I want to be back in F1 and I will do whatever I can to fulfil that ambition.”
During his three year stint, di Resta may not have set the world on fire, but he certainly held his own. As the driver market for the 2015 season continues to shake up and be speculated, the Scotsman will be hoping to get his name in the ring ahead of a possible return to the F1 grid next year.
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 7 p.m. ET recaps Talladega 0
- Remembering racing legend Raymond Beadle: ‘Once upon a time, I was the best at what I did’ 1
- Weekend wrap: Brad Keselowski rises up to Talladega challenge 0
- The irony of a winless driver winning a title in the new Chase still exists 0
- Roger Penske defends Keselowski, says other drivers “jealous” of his success 3
- What will NASCAR fans do now that their favorite drivers are eliminated from Chase? 9
- Brad Keselowski wins at Talladega on 2nd G-W-C attempt, advances in Chase 10