Aug 16, 2014, 12:04 PM EDT
MILWAUKEE, Wis. – James Hinchcliffe led the opening one-hour practice session for this weekend’s Verizon IndyCar Series ABC Supply Co. Wisconsin 250 at Milwaukee IndyFest Presented by the Metro Milwaukee Honda Dealers, aboard his No. 27 United Fiber & Data Honda.
The Canadian, who’s coming off his first podium of the season two weeks ago at Mid-Ohio and also made a cameo appearance in last week’s TUDOR United SportsCar Championship race weekend at Road America aboard a Honda-powered Riley DP, clocked in a flier of 165.451 mph at the Milwaukee Mile to lead the session.
Hinchcliffe did have one brief moment during the session when he attempted to pass Indianapolis sparring partner and fellow front row starter Ed Carpenter going into Turn 1, but the Canadian backed out of it when Carpenter turned in.
Ryan Briscoe, Ryan Hunter-Reay, Josef Newgarden and the Target Chip Ganassi Racing teammates of Tony Kanaan and Scott Dixon rounded out the top six.
There wasn’t too much variance in lines during the session and there were two yellow flags, the first for track inspection and the second for Carlos Munoz stopped on-track in-between Turns 3 and 4.
Second practice runs from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. CT/local time, with qualifying from 5 to 6:15 p.m. CT/local time. Qualifying airs tonight at 8 p.m. ET on NBCSN.
Here’s your times:
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach and Barber debrief 0
- NHRA: Capps storms to 2nd win of season, Funny Car points lead 1
- Relief, gratitude define the day where Newgarden finally gets first win (VIDEO) 1
- Graham Rahal can’t close deal in runner-up finish at Barber 2
- Josef Newgarden scores his first IndyCar win at Barber 12
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0