Aug 16, 2014, 3:43 PM EDT
James Hinchcliffe followed up setting his fastest time in Milwaukee first practice by doing so again in the second, but a crash in Turn 2 will leave his Andretti Autosport crew scrambling before qualifying later this afternoon.
Hinchcliffe, in the No. 27 United Fiber & Data Honda, lost the back end while running behind Helio Castroneves going through Turns 1 and 2 with just more than 10 minutes remaining in the second one-hour practice session. He hit the wall with the rear and knocked the wing off, and also incurred some right rear corner damage. Hinchcliffe was checked, cleared and released.
The accident brought out the fourth yellow flag of the session; others flew for minor stops by Josef Newgarden for a minor electrical issue, a track inspection, and Hinchcliffe’s teammate Marco Andretti stopping on-track through 1/2. Both Newgarden and Andretti got back out.
Prior to the wreck, Hinchcliffe improved his morning time and speed, with a new best lap of 165.677 mph (22.0549 seconds). Hinchcliffe was the only driver in the 165s; this afternoon’s practice ran at 83 degrees ambient and 111 on track, nearly 10 degrees ambient and 23 track warmer than this morning.
Ed Carpenter, Tony Kanaan, Mikhail Aleshin and Newgarden rounded out the top five.
Due to the yellows, the session was extended an extra five minutes.
Times are below:
Qualifying is next and will run from 5 to 6:15 p.m. CT/local time. Here’s the order for that:
1. 18-Carlos Huertas
2. 28-Ryan Hunter-Reay
3. 19-Justin Wilson
4. 34-Carlos Munoz
5. 3-Helio Castroneves
6. 98-Jack Hawksworth
7. 8-Ryan Briscoe
8. 2-Juan Pablo Montoya
9. 12-Will Power
10. 17-Sebastian Saavedra
11. 83-Charlie Kimball
12. 67-Josef Newgarden
13. 10-Tony Kanaan
14. 77-Simon Pagenaud
15. 15-Graham Rahal
16. 14-Takuma Sato
17. 7-Mikhail Aleshin
18. 11-Sebastien Bourdais
19. 20-Ed Carpenter
20. 25-Marco Andretti
21. 27-James Hinchcliffe
22. 9-Scott Dixon
Qualifying airs tonight on NBCSN at 8 p.m. ET.
- Graham Rahal now trails Montoya by nine points in IndyCar standings 0
- Karam’s Mid-Ohio spin triggers frustration, skepticism from IndyCar paddock 0
- Rahal scores dream win on home soil in Honda 200 at Mid-Ohio 1
- Helio Castroneves leads halfway through the Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Mid-Ohio (1:30 p.m. ET, CNBC and Live Extra) 0
- Hunter-Reay fastest in final Mid-Ohio warm up despite spinning out 0
- Cole Custer sails to first career ARCA win at Pocono, 9th first-time winner in series in 2015 0