Aug 16, 2014, 12:14 PM EDT
One day after putting up the seventh-fastest pole-winning lap in NASCAR Sprint Cup Series history, Gordon has topped final Sprint Cup practice for tomorrow’s Pure Michigan 400 with a lap at 200.156 miles per hour.
Speeds took a noticeable drop in the final, 55-minute session as Gordon was the only driver to break the 200 mph mark. Earlier this morning, 33 drivers went past that mark in the second Cup practice.
Rookie driver Kyle Larson was second behind Gordon in “Happy Hour” with a lap of 199.695 mph. He was followed by Brad Keselowski (199.137) in third, Practice 2 leader Kevin Harvick (198.812) in fourth, and Greg Biffle (198.835) in fifth.
Yesterday, Larson surveyed his current Chase situation – winless with four races to go in the regular season, but still in position to make it on points if necessary. He believes that he has to make fewer mistakes in order to get the victory that will effectively push him through to the post-season.
“I feel like as a rookie, I still make some mistakes out there,” said Larson, who is 15th in the Chase Grid (+9 points on 17th-place Greg Biffle). “As you can see on pit road, I’ve sped a lot, which is weird because I never sped at all last year. Then just there are lots of little things that could help our chances of winning races.
“We have to put a whole race weekend together, a whole race together, limit our mistakes and hopefully get a win. I think I’m pretty aggressive on restarts and seems like I gain spots on restarts and stuff, just got to get better at everything and I’m sure the wins will come.”
Green flag for tomorrow’s 200-lap race at MIS is scheduled for shortly after 1 p.m. ET.
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy 200 at 1:30 p.m. ET on CNBC, Live Extra 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Mid-Ohio (1:30 p.m. ET, CNBC and Live Extra) 0
- Hunter-Reay fastest in final Mid-Ohio warm up despite spinning out 0
- Cole Custer sails to first career ARCA win at Pocono, 9th first-time winner in series in 2015 0
- Dixon crushes lap record to score pole in Mid-Ohio (VIDEO) 1
- Johansson: Haas has done its homework ahead of F1 entry 1
- Dixon quickest with unofficial lap record in final practice at Mid-Ohio 0