Aug 16, 2014, 8:15 AM EDT
After a difficult start to the 2014 Formula 1 season, Pastor Maldonado has said that his Lotus team is hungrier than ever to fight back and set itself up for a strong campaign in 2015.
The Venezuelan driver has not scored any points so far this season, whilst teammate Romain Grosjean has struggled to match his 2013 form, scoring just eight points. The E22 car has been problematic, but Maldonado believes that there are encouraging signs that should not be ignored.
“We have seen flashes of big promise from the E22,” he said. “If everything is running right and the team continues to push then we can get more points for sure.
“As a team we will stay together with a clear mission to achieve the maximum. That way we will come back stronger and become a force in 2015.
“But first we are hungrier than ever to get back in to the mix for points again in 2014.”
It has been a difficult year or so at Enstone. The team has come back from the brink of financial collapse, and although it may rank eighth in the constructors’ championship, there have been moments where the car has looked capable of fighting in the top ten.
At the Spanish Grand Prix, Romain Grosjean qualified an excellent fifth before finishing eighth, and although he hasn’t scored any points since the Monaco Grand Prix, the Frenchman has certainly shown signs of the promise that we saw at the end of last year.
The worst of the storm may be over for Lotus, but the focus now must be on getting the team back to the shore to prepare for the 2015 season.
- Preview: Barber marks end of IndyCar’s first quarter of 2015 (VIDEO) 0
- Ryan Hunter-Reay looks to right 2015 season by completing winning trilogy at Barber Motorsports Park 0
- As GP2 turns 10 years old, where is the Class of ’05 now? 0
- Here’s your IndyCar times for this weekend’s Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama 0
- F1: Year-on-year, Ferrari’s gains, Mercedes’ continued edge reins after four races 0
- Racing community reflects on the loss of Fox Sports’ broadcaster Steve Byrnes 8
- Sam Schmidt’s inspirational lap in SAM Project, Arrow Corvette on NBC Nightly News (VIDEO, PHOTOS) 2